Mender 2.0 Released: Extending Update Capability

Hi everyone,

We are very excited to announce the production release of Mender 2.0! With reaching this big milestone, we believe Mender is now positioned for providing robust system - and application level updates to address all OTA update needs . A big thank you for all your contributions and continuous investment of your time in developing new features as well as everyone providing feedback and support!

Mender 2.0 extends capability beyond only system updates to enable:

· Support for applications, packages, containers and bootloaders

· Customization of the install and update process

· Faster speeds and more frequent updates for targeted application level updates.

Read more details in the release blog post.

Please feel free to reply with any questions or comments!

4 Likes

Awesome! My first question is whether it supports Yocto 2.7. I’m at a great point to upgrade to it.

Hi @TimFroehlich!

As Yocto 2.7/warrior was released just a week ago meta-mender does not support it yet. But it is coming soon, hopefully within a month or so if there are no unforseen problems!

I added the following to the local.conf to enable the Mender 2.0.0 beta, after I upgraded from Mender 1.7.0.

PREFERRED_VERSION_pn-mender = "2.0.%"
PREFERRED_VERSION_pn-mender-artifact = "3.0.%"
PREFERRED_VERSION_pn-mender-artifact-native = "3.0.%"

Whether the above steps are valid for production release of Mender 2.0 too? I have seen in the blog post that, the Mender 2.0 will not come by default.
What else I need to change if I already using Mender 2.0 beta and want to use Mender 2.0 production client?

PS: A small note on how to move from beta (Mender 2.0 client) to production (Mender 2.0 client) (with required configurations) will help everyone to understand it clearly :slight_smile:

The steps are still valid, there is no change. And moving off the beta to 2.0.0 final requires no change either, other than updating the meta-mender branch.

1 Like

The Yocto 2.7 support is tracked here, and there are some issues: https://tracker.mender.io/browse/MEN-2511
Help appreciated to get it working sooner :slight_smile:

I might be able to after my next release :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Just to inform all that recipes for Mender 2.0.0 (and Mender 1.7.1) are now back-ported to sumo and rocko branches of the meta-mender Yocto layer. Mender 1.7.1 is the default in these branches, but 2.0.0 can be enabled in local.conf.

See Changelogs for details.

Hi,

Is the plan to move sumo/rocko to 2.0.0 eventually?

Thanks.

The recipes for 2.0.0 should be in both rocko and sumo, but it will not be enabled by default. You have to add,

PREFERRED_VERSION_pn-mender = "2.%"
PREFERRED_VERSION_pn-mender-artifact = "3.%"
PREFERRED_VERSION_pn-mender-artifact-native = "3.%"

Thanks for the reply - I guess my question was more along the lines of:

Why is 2.0.0 not the default for these, is it 1) They require more testing before it becomes the default, 2) 1.7.1 (or 1.x) will be the last supported version for these branches or something else?

Thanks!

It is because 2.0.0 contains breaking changes, and we can not make this the default on “stable” branches.

It will only default on the upcoming Yocto release, that is meta-mender/warrior

Ah, I see. I am still exploring Mender for use with my project on a rocko branch. Would you recommend switching to 2.0.0 since I have not released yet?

Thanks!

Yes, would definitely recommend switching to 2.0.0 if this is your first release.

1 Like

Is it possible to migrate from 1 to 2.x.x without causing issues to existing devices? Which is the recommended way?
Should we update the server and next our clients, or the opposite?

PS: is there an officiale date about yocto warrior support?

Is it possible to migrate from 1 to 2.x.x without causing issues to existing devices? Which is the recommended way?
Should we update the server and next our clients, or the opposite?

Server first, then clients. And no, there should not be any issues that I’m aware of. But it is of course a good idea to test it first. :slight_smile:

One difference to be aware of if you are using standalone mode is that the -rootfs argument is now called -install.

is there an officiale date about yocto warrior support?

Not at this time. It will for sure come, but the pressure hasn’t been great to release it so far.

Hi kacf!

Do you have any news about warrior support?

already there @Ks89 :wink:

See https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender/tree/warrior

Fixed by https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender/pull/818

1 Like

Oh, thanks
I totally missed the update.

Is already production ready? I don’t see the release on github. The latest version is thud 2019.09.

We haven’t officially tagged it yet, which means we haven’t tried any of
our physically supported boards (Raspberry Pi 3 and Beaglebone Black).
However, all our virtualized boards are tested and passing. So it should
be in a pretty good shape.

We will tag it pretty soon, maybe this week or next.

1 Like