Issues with Raspberry Pi 3

Thank you @drewmoseley and @MarekBelisko. Before your reply i already restarted the build of the disk image and unfortunately i have a segmentation error when i run mender-artifact.
On the other hand , im confused because it is noticed that If you have just one device, you could connect your workstation and the device using a direct Ethernet cable and use static IP addresses at both ends. For multiple devices, you need a router or switch. and a little further down they say that The raspberrypi demo image comes with Wifi connectivity enabled by default, thus the only thing needed in order for your device to connect to your network is setting the correct <ssid> and <password> in the wpa_supplicant-nl80211@wlan0.conf file on your device.

So which type of connectivity is the right one ?

Thank you for your answers !

@MissLee now I’m confused even more. Do you use yocto or mender-convert tool to generate disk image? Which device do you use? Can you pls post a photo of device? We need first replies to those questions and then we can help. Thanks.

I am using the prebuilt mender-artifact tool and demo disk image for raspberry pi 3. I am sure about using Raspberry pi 3 Model B V1.2 it is written on it.

If you plug eth cable then device will be connected over ethernet but it seems it’s not working in your case for unknown reasons. Then you need other way to evaluate why it is not working (or even setup wifi connection). Pls attach serial console as described here and then you’ll have access to device and can inspect why ethernet is not working or setup wifi.

Note that I have moved this thread, to a separate topic under General Discussions

Okay @MarekBelisko i will do so but can you take a look please on the tutorial so you can tell me if there some missing steps that maybe the source of the deployement failure.
here is the link of the tutorial : https://docs.mender.io/1.7/getting-started/deploy-to-physical-devices

Okay @MarekBelisko i will do so but can you take a look please on the tutorial so you can tell me if there some missing steps that maybe the source of the deployement failure.
here is the link of the tutorial : https://docs.mender.io/1.7/getting-started/deploy-to-physical-devices

@mirzak @MarekBelisko i have a segmentation error when i try to execute mender artifact, with the following command : ./mender-artifact

Do you have an idea about it ?

Thank you

You run this command on host? Did you fetch prebuild one from this link which OS do you use? Thanks.

yes i ran it on my host (where mender server is installed)
exactly this is the OS i am using

Hello, I solved the segmentation error, now i’m setting a network connectivity between my host(pc) and my device(raspberry pi 3 ) by following this:
Set a static device IP address and subnet

This section assumes you use a static IP setup. If your device uses a DHCP setup, this section can be skipped. In this section, we assume that $IP_OF_MENDER_CLIENT is the IP address you assign to your device.

If you are using bash , you can set a variable before running the command below, for example IP_OF_MENDER_CLIENT="192.168.10.2" .

Run the command below to fill the systemd networking configuration files of the rootfs partitions:

echo -n "\
[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
Address=$IP_OF_MENDER_CLIENT
Gateway=$IP_OF_MENDER_SERVER_FROM_DEVICE
" | mender-artifact cp $MENDER_IMGPATH:/etc/systemd/network/eth.network

But when i go to check the file eth.network in the given path i don’t find it, the folder network is empty
Does it mean that my command didn’t turn well ?

I did not pay attention to " Run the command below to fill the systemd networking configuration files of the rootfs partitions:"
they mean the rootfs partition of my sd card ?

Do you have set : MENDER_IMGPATH=<sdimg> ? mender-artifact then update /etc/systemd/network/eth.network with above info

yes i’ve set MENDER_IMGPATH=

then check after mounting image if /etc/systemd/network/eth.network is updated

i can see it on my sd card

Now i’m going to boot my raspberry with the built sd card

is there any configuration to do in the the device after the boot ?

You can do it manually on device but IIRC you had network connection issues? Did you try to establish serial console connection? Thanks.

on my raspberry on etc/systemd/network/eth.network i see exactly :
cho -n "
[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
" | mender-artifact cp $MENDER_IMGPATH:/etc/systemd/network/eth.network

even though i can’t see the raspeberry on the pending devices

ps: when i type ifconfig -a on my rasp, i see : lo, wlan0 and eth0 . but the eth0 doesn’t seem to be connected

@MissLee only those line should be presetn in /etc/ systemd/network/eth.network

[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]

also $IP_OF_MENDER_CLIENT and other should be replaced. You probably call command wrong. Pls update it manually on device and try.