Problem with getting started

How did you solve this, I’ve gone through the Get Started twice, but when I get to the Deploy an Operating System update, and try to create a snapshot I get this error as well. I only have one device (a raspberry pi 4) and the mender client is installed on it.

Just as a Note I was able to solve this issue by install the Client on the Build System using the Express Install Script (which is located in the Downloads section not in the Client Installation Section of the documentation).

1 Like

Hi @fkoops,

Thanks for following up. Just to understand the problem, what did you do initially that did not work? Or which step failed?

Greets,
Josef

OK, here is the long version.

I have a Build System with Linux Ubuntu 22.04 and a Raspberry Pi 4 with 7" Touch Screen, keyboard and mouse. It was my first time working with Mender so my system was pretty clean. I when trough the getting started guide in the documentation. I did the Prepare a Raspberry Pi device, using the image from Mender and with Ethernet so I didn’t have setup Wi-Fi, just enabled SSH. Then I completed Deploy an Application update, with no issues. But on Deploy an Operating System update, I installed mender-artifact though the package manager (an option that was not very clear in the documentation) and when I executed the “mender-artifact write rootfs-image …” I received the error:
/bin/sh: 1: mender: not found
imgFilesystemType error: imgFilesystemType: blkid command failed: exit status 2
I tried a bunch of different things, but the step that appeared for fix the problem was to install the Mender Client on the build machine using the Express installation script.

Hi @fkoops,

Thanks! So installing the Mender Client on your development host (Ubuntu 22.04) fixed the /bin/sh: 1: mender: not found error, which appeared on the development host? That is definitely strange, as mender-artifact does not require the Mender Client to be available. Did you invoke mender-artefact write rootfs-image... directly, or through some script or wrapper? Just trying to understand the problem properly - if you ran into it, chances are that somebody else will face it too.

Thanks,
Josef