Downloads.mender.io - 403 Forbidden

I can’t download anything from https://downloads.mender.io: 403 Forbidden.

This happens both when I attempt to install mender-client via apt-get and when mender-convert attempts to retrieve the Uboot bootloader via wget. I followed the instructions for configuring APT–both for v3 and v4–to no avail. I tried both the curl and wget commands provided in the Downloads section when logged into hosted.mender.io, which seem to include a cookie, and those don’t work either.

I see there’s another thread from two years ago that suggests a GPG problem preventing APT from working, but that doesn’t explain why plain wget doesn’t work, even when I provide a header with my session cookie.

The official Debian repo has mender-client and mender-connect but not mender-monitor, which is a feature my enterprise plans on using. Besides, I’d rather get the packages directly from Mender to rule out support issues.

Does anyone know how to get around this?

Hi @duffy,

The APT-based instructions at Downloads | Mender documentation and repos definitely should work. Possibly @robgio can give it a short cross check?

For mender-monitor, there is a deb package, but it is not part of the package repository. This is because it’s proprietary licensed and available for download only if you have a plan which has the Add-On enabled. Having said that, the trial period counts technically as Enterprise tier, so you can just follow the documentation at Downloads | Mender documentation with your trial credentials.

Greets,
Josef

Hi Josef,

Thank you for your reply. APT issues aside, I’m most interested your mender-convert fork since it supports Debian 64-bit, however when it attempts to download the bootloader (URL), it fails due to 403 Forbidden.

The 403 error seems to be a common pattern between APT and the arbitrary wget download for the bootloader, which makes me wonder if there’s a configuration issue with Mender’s download host rather than APT or mender-convert itself.

Thank you again for your help. I love the work you’ve done on mender-convert! The 64-bit support is greatly appreciated.

Edit: apt works on the live system, that part must be an issue with my build system

@duffy ah, my fork being involved is an important bit of information! Please try the Commits · TheYoctoJester/mender-convert · GitHub branch, as that one includes the bootloader binaries. Those are not officially released yet: in order for that to happen, first the patches to our u-boot fork must be merged, then the build scripts extended, then the binaries are actually up for download and the full pipeline is functional. Hence, the rpi_debian_64bit branch is the “sanitized” one for merging upstream, the “rpi64_wip_multiarch” is the one which should be working for local testing. Side effect, it also works on arm64 build hosts.

For the full story, feel free to check out add support for Debian 12 "bookworm", 32bit and 64bit on Raspberry Pi 4 by TheYoctoJester · Pull Request #695 · mendersoftware/mender-convert · GitHub and get involved eventually.

Maybe also @janaperic can share some news.

Side note: I will be away from the Mender Hub for the next two weeks roughly, for personal reasons. So I won’t be able to follow up timely from now on, sorry.

Greets,
Josef

That makes sense! Thank you for explaining. I’m new to the Mender ecosystem so I wasn’t aware of what the state of the art was until now.

Indeed, the WIP branch successfully downloads the 64-bit bootloader. Sadly, Debian 12 64-bit enters an infinite boot loop when run on a CM4 (eMMC). Technically this isn’t about the 403 issue anymore so I’m not sure if I should post this as a separate topic.

Have a safe break!

In case this is useful, after running the rpi64_wip_multiarch branch against the current 64-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS Lite (Debian 12), this is what the console shows each time before it reboots indefinitely:

Net: eth0: ethernet@7d580000
PCIe BRCM: link down
starting USB...
No working controllers found
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Working FDT set to 2e4e6d00
libfdt fdt_path_offset() return FDT_ERR_BADSTRUCTURE
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0(part 0) is current device
25463296 bytes read in 1075ms (22.6 MiB/s)
Moving Image from 0x80000 to 0x200000, end=1b60000

I’ve checked and all is working fine. Do you have a specific command that is failing, to try to reproduce it?

Thanks