Support for Toradex Colibri IMX8QXP and Colibri IMX6ULL 1GB

Hello,

We’re planning to use mender in our system, using Toradex’ BSP (version 6, based on yocto kirkstone).
It seems that there is support for some of Toradex’ modules, but not these two we’re using in our project. There’s some support for the IMX6ULL, but not the 1GB (eMMC) version and it only seems to work on the older BSP 5.

Links to the SoMs we’re planning to use:
IMX8QXP (PN: 0050): NXP i.MX 8X Computer-on-Module - Colibri iMX8X
IMX6ULL-1GB (PN: 0062): NXP i.MX 6ULL Computermodule - Colibri iMX6ULL

Is there support planned or currently beeing worked on for these modules? If so, is there an ETA?

Thanks and regards,

Simon

Hi @SimonG,

Thanks a lot for reaching out! Maybe @drewmoseley can give some pointers on how to proceed best? From my point of view the adaptation of the existing integrations should not be too complicated. Have you tried just copying over the existing integration to your board respectively extending the recipes and giving it a try?

It is not being actively worked on inside Mender, but we’re happy to assist and help if you take on it and post the errors/problems that you face. Alternatively, you can always reach out to us for a more dedicated solution.

Greetz,
Josef

Hi @TheYoctoJester

Thanks for the quick response.

My colleague did some tests, basically following the instructions here first: https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender-community/tree/kirkstone/meta-mender-toradex-nxp

This didn’t work, tested with both modules. It seems that some .patch files no longer are up to date, and therefore the yocto build failed, also BSP 6.2 is used there, but recent dev is 6.4.

After that, I think he used the instructions from here: Toradex Colibri i.MX6ULL
That worked, although for the wrong module (the none-eMMC type) and only the old BSP as mentioned.

It probably makes sense to wait with the integration until there’s the an LTS-Release for the BSP 6, because then things might change slower: Embedded Linux Release Matrix | Toradex Developer Center

1 Like

Hi @SimonG

We generally don’t proactively port this integration to newer chips. Most of the recent work has been contributed by users and we will happily take a patch to add support for the module(s) you need.

As you have noticed, I have not moved to the newer BSPs and at the moment there is no plan to do so. As @TheYoctoJester mentioned, moving forward should not be a huge effort though. My guess is the patches will apply with only minor modifications.

If you do want something more actively to help out here, I suggest you contact your local Toradex sales rep. They are the ones who can help prioritize these efforts.

Drew

1 Like

Hi @drewmoseley

Thanks for clarification. I’m not sure if there’s support from Toradex for mender board integration, because mender is not part of their Yocto-BSP. However, it might be an option to ask them if they can help, in case.

If we update the patches ourselfs & want to contribute to the meta-mender-community layer directly, are there any instructions/guidelines how to do so?

Regards,

Simon

Hi @SimonG, concerning the submission into meta-mender-community I am happy to help! If you take a look at the existing kas files and boards, I think there is a good base to start out on. I just do not have one of those boards so the only thing I can actively do is support build testing.

Greetz,
Josef

Hi @SimonG

I should clarify, that I work for Toradex now and maintain the Mender ports. We just don’t do it proactively and usually wait for a customer to request it. When I suggested you find a Toradex account rep to ask about I assume it will eventually be routed to me but with a bit more of the business side impact to help with prioritization.

If you are able to do the port yourself, I will definitely review it.

Drew

1 Like

@TheYoctoJester
Thanks, we’ll look into that. If it’s not too much of work and we’re able to implement it ourself, we’ll submit a PR on github.

@drewmoseley
Ah, you working for Toradex is perfect, so we have “official” options available. Could you make an educated guess on how much effort it would be to bring up both these modules with the latest BSP, in case you’d get to port it?

I need to coordinate with my co-worker, who was/is doing some tests with mender (currently on vacation), but I’ll get back to this in a few weeks.

Thanks both of you for all information so far!

1 Like