Raspberry Pi 5 and Yocto, modifications and adding users

Hi and thank you for this board integration!

I am having trouble logging in after creating an image. On my first try, I did not do any changes to conf/local.conf and have seen in other forum replies that one should be able to login with: login: root, and empty password.

I have also tried setting

INHERIT += "extrausers"
EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "usermod -p '\$1\$EZkCDWad\$eEMhB36cFCOeRGXvtP3t81' root;"

in my-raspberrypi5/build/local.conf as explained here. When doing this I am not able to start the image at all. It seems to be stuck in some boot loop as the screen turns on and of.

In addition, I was wondering if it is possible to get explained the difference between the my-raspberrypi5/build and my-raspberrypi5/poky/build directory. Especially when changes should be made to each of them.

It is worth noting that I am on ubuntu 24 and I am getting this warning after running bitbake core-image-base: WARNING: Host distribution “ubuntu-24.04” has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

I see I am not the only one with this issue:

Hi @davidlekve,

Thanks for getting in touch! There’s a couple of questions in here, let me try to address them one by one:

• logging in, with empty root password.
    By default, the root login on a Yocto image is disabled, in the reasoning of “secure by default”. The easiest way to get the empty password login is adding EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "debug-tweaks" to your local.conf or image recipe. For more details, please see 11 Features — The Yocto Project ® 5.0.999 documentation. Why is this not in the default kas file? Same reason, we don’t want to encourage insecure defaults.
  • setting the root password.
    The link which you posted seems to be quite outdated. I’d suggest to follow the documentation at 5 Classes — The Yocto Project ® 5.0.999 documentation
  • my-raspberrypi5/build/conf/local.conf versus my-raspberrypi5/poky/.... There is no reason to ever modify anything inside poky. Treat it as the upstream source it is - how would you manage and control any eventual changes upon checkout? My guess is that you have mixed up different Yocto tutorials here, one of them suggesting to to oe-init-build-env inside poky. That is definitely bad practice. If you want to have the shell initialized for building without calling kas shell, but using the setup which kas prepared, then to correctly use the my-raspberrypi5/build directory, do
cd my-raspberrypi5
source poky/oe-init-build-env
  • Building on Ubuntu 24.04 is a so-called “untested path” for the scarthgap release of Yocto as Ubuntu 24.04 just was not around when the release was constructed. I’m at least not aware of any immediate problems, and it’s a common situation. It just tells you that there is no fully official, auto builder scale quality assurance on it.

Hope this helps,
Josef