Psplash_git.bb not working

Hi Folks,

Before to use MenderIO on my yocto SUMO version for intel atom (MACHINE = “intel-core2-32”). I used, with success, psplash recipe (poky/meta/recipes-core/psplash/) to have a bitmap during the boot of linux.
Now Mender IO is integreted to my image and I don’t have anymore this nice picture displayed during the boot of linux.
Any idea ? help is very welcome.

What I did is :
in my recipe

IMAGE_FEATURES += “splash x11-base ssh-server-dropbear hwcodecs”

I probably start comparing the bootargs before and after Mender integration.

Mender provides custom bootargs because we do require bootloader integration.

And if I recall correctly psplash works on top of framebuffer console which is normally enabled trough bootargs.

here my boot arg with mender
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda2 console=tty0 quiet acpi_enforce_resources=lax video=efifb:off vga=0x312
here my boot arg without mender
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/bzImage initrd=/initrd LABEL=boot root=/dev/ram0 rootwait console=tty0 quiet acpi_enforce_resources=lax video=efifb:off vga=0x312

is it because of the root=/dev/ram0

You do you do that recall correctly ?

is it because of the root=/dev/ram0

Yeah that is one difference it seems. This means that earlier your hardware booted using a initrd which might have been the one displaying the splash.

Another difference might be that you where running sysV init before, but enabled systemd together with Mender.

You can try running the psplash command on your device once booted with Mender. To see if the actually image is there. If this works you probably need to add a systemd service that calls that command on boot.

Also looking at the psplash recipe it seems that only provides a sysvinit script, which confirms above section as well.

Hi,

Thansks for your help.

yes the psplash is working. I will ass a systemd service that calls that command on boot.

Any idea how to do that ?

I would defer this question to the Yocto mega manual