Network configuration from USB stick vs. Mender Configure

Hi there!

I have to connect some Yocto based Linux devices to the internet. Due to internal network rules each of them may need different network configuration, and without proper configuration, they have no internet access.

I was thinking about using Mender Configure for configuration in general, but that requires internet, so I’d probably put the configuration on a USB stick and have it loaded automatically. However it would be useful for after on-site configuration to use Mender Configure for future changes.

The docs mention that the client can report actual configuration. How? Would it be possible to let the client report its actual configuration done by USB stick once it goes online, so it can be adjusted later on?

Or is there in general a better approach to applying configuration on-site without Internet connection?

Thanks!
Simon

I can imagine using mender configure for this.

The configuration is just another Mender update, so it is possible for you to create Artifacts locally, flash them onto a USB stick, and then apply the update with Mender in standalone mode.

The configuration is reported alongside the inventory (but to a different endpoint), and so should be sent when the device gets internet access, and as such, you should then afterwards be able to configure the device as you see fit.

Cheers
Ole

Hi Ole,

thanks for your answer and for the hint at standalone mode!
In our case the intended workflow is that as little as possible user interaction is needed for loading the configuration, so the user should not have to log in and load the configuration manually from the commandline. It should rather be applied automatically when plugging in a USB stick.

I will investigate a bit if I can do that with udev and how we can do that with or without Mender Configure.

Thanks!
Simon

Great!

Yes, I guess you can add a udev rule to run the mender-client in standalone mode upon inserting a certain USB stick.

Best of luck!