Mender-convert how to add bootargs to kernel

I assume when using mender-convert you can add boot parameters that get passed to the kernel via the MENDER_GRUB_KERNEL_BOOT_ARGS variable during build phase, but how do you do it for testing whilst in a running operating system?

Tried updating /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
Tried setting bootargs with fw_setenv

1 Like

is it as simple as editing bootargs in the /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg

is it as simple as editing bootargs in the /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg

Exactly.

The configuration we provide is not really compatible with /etc/default/grub and the workflow this implies.

awesome thanks, yep its working. Reason I mention it is, i have noticed that after a mender-convert the EFI fat partition is being flagged as dirty bit set and needs fsck to be ran on boot along with passno set in /etc/fstab to fix it

I can see that the passno in mender-convert-modify is hard coded to 0 on all partitions except root
Would it be advantagous to make this configurable? In the meantime do you know how I would use PLATFORM_MODIFY_HOOKS or USER_LOCAL_MODIFY_HOOKS to make the necessary changes to fstab? Are these as simple as setting the environment variables prior to running mender-convert?

on closer inspection it looks like i need to provide implementations of these functions in my config files.