Kirkstone branches?

I’m not sure I follow. Are you enabling systemd-boot? Because if you do, this is not going to work without a patch refresh, so I believe there is no benefit to removing the error. If we do, then it will compile, but the bootloader integration will not work and you’ll have problems later instead.

I don’t enable explicitly any systemd-boot in my system. It seems wic-tools have dependency on systemd-boot and this can be things which pulls it in. I fixed above error in bbappend with following content:

SRC_URI:remove = "file://systemd-boot-slotconfig.patch"

But doesn’t the mender-systemd-boot override protect you? Are you sure it’s not turned on?

It’s not turned on at least in my config looks like:

MENDER_FEATURES_ENABLE:append = " mender-uboot mender-image mender-image-sd mender-systemd mender-client-install"
MENDER_FEATURES_DISABLE:append = " mender-grub mender-image-uefi"

That’s quite mysterious. Can you use bitbake -e to check the contents of the variables MENDER_FEATURES and DISTROOVERRIDES, and how they get populated?

Variables:

MENDER_FEATURES="mender-uboot mender-image mender-image-sd mender-systemd mender-client-install"
DISTROOVERRIDES="poky:mender-uboot:mender-image:mender-image-sd:mender-systemd:mender-client-install"

Ok, even more mysterious. How is the patch making it into SRC_URI then?

If you run bitbake -e systemd-boot and capture the output, can you post the SRC_URI= part? Please also post the preceding part so we can see how it gets assigned.

Although I don’t think it’s related, you could try this change as well:

-SRC_URI:mender-systemd-boot += "file://systemd-boot-slotconfig.patch"
+SRC_URI:append:mender-systemd-boot = " file://systemd-boot-slotconfig.patch"

Kirkstone support for meta-mender was released yesterday. See this post.