Issue with Intel® NUC tutorial

I have a issue with the tutorial Intel® NUC

All build with success. When I put the *.uefiimg.bz2 file on an USB drive, I got an error. It’s look like a kernel panic.

The relevant bits seem to have scrolled off the screen but I suspect it’s just not able to find the root filesystem device. The default setting in the meta-mender-intel layer is /dev/mmcblk0:
{quote}
MENDER_STORAGE_DEVICE = “/dev/mmcblk2”
MENDER_GRUB_STORAGE_DEVICE = “hd0”
{quote}

It’s likely that on your NUC those device nodes need to be updated. I suspect “hd0” is fine for Grub but you need to figure out exactly what the rootfs device node is. I have a NUC that uses /dev/nvme-something but it will vary depending on the type of disk in your system.

I’m trying to boot on the usb drive, so I use MENDER_STORAGE_DEVICE = "/dev/sda"

It’s possible that the USB drive is not /dev/sda. Do you have another OS disk you can use to check? I think on my NUC, the USB drive shows up as /dev/hda but I’m away from the office and cannot confirm.

You may also see the device nodes during the kernel boot logs as it scans the devices. It’s difficult without a serial port but taking a video of the boot sequence may be instructive.

Yes, I used a live linux to check the disk and the usb is sda.

The last think I tested is disabling the onboard mmc. Now I got a more readable message.

The usb drive is not available in the boot process?

It does not seem that you any devices visible above.

Can you check if you have rootwait defined in Linux kernel arguments? You can check this by inspecting the grub.cfg file on the first partition of your USB flash drive.

Nope, no rootwait in grub.cfg: set console_bootargs="console=tty0,115200n8 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=ttyO0,115200n8 console=ttyAMA0,115200n8"

I thought it was fixed with https://github.com/mendersoftware/grub-mender-grubenv/pull/7

Anyway, has workaround I booted with a live linux and dd the IMG to the MMC

That fix may be in the mender-grub-grubenv source but the Yocto branch you are on may not yet have it. If you can test it and submit a PR against meta-mender that would be most appreciated.