Issue with generating artifact when using Raspbian Images

Hi, I have followed this method using the exact build referenced in this method, attempting to create a new artefact - so far i am unable to create the artifact successfully.

I have made the required files executable, but cant figure out what is going wrong at this stage;

ARTIFACT_NAME="my-update-1.0"
DEVICE_TYPE="raspberrypi3"
OUTPUT_PATH="my-update-1.0.mender"
SRC_DIR="dir-to-deploy"
DEST_DIR="/opt/installed-by-mender/"

./directory-artifact-gen -n ${ARTIFACT_NAME} -t ${DEVICE_TYPE} -d ${DEST_DIR} -o ${OUTPUT_PATH} ${SRC_DIR}

In my system, i am seeing the following;
cdx@cdx-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/Mender_Trials$ ./directory-artifact-gen -n {ARTIFACT_NAME} -t {DEVICE_TYPE} -d {DEST_DIR} -o {OUTPUT_PATH} ${SRC_DIR}

./directory-artifact-gen: line 32: hash: mender-artifact: not found

I attempted this on a new installation of Ubuntu 18.04.03

Thanks,
Will

Hi @Will84 and welcome to the Mender community!

The error indicates that directory-artifact-gen does not find mender-artifact.
Is directory-artifact-gen and mender-artifact in the same directory? If not, could you copy in the mender-artifact binary into the same directory where you are running directory-artifact-gen?

I have updated the instructions to also copy mender-artifact into a system directory in “Configure your Mender server”, and with this the binaries should not need to be in the same directory.

Let us know how this works out.

Hi @eystein - thanks for the quick response.

directory-artifact-gen and mender-artifact were in the same directory during my previous attempts.

Thank you for the updated method, copying the mender-artifact into the system folder has resolved my problem, i can now successfully generate an artifact.

Thanks,
Will

Awesome! Please don’t hesitate to ask if there’s anything else that is not working or seems a bit confusing!

1 Like