Cannot connect mender client to hosted mender server

Hi there,

I tried installing mender-client using the Debian package. When I run sudo mender setup to provide credentials of the hosted mender server, it showed: “We couldn’t find a Hosted Mender account with those credentials.” I am sure that the credentials are correct.

I then removed all the mender files and directories it had created, using ‘sudo apt purge mender-client’. I later tried to install the client again from the UI of the hosted mender server using the ‘CONNECT A DEVICE’ button of the dashboard. It didn’t show the device on the pending tab of the server UI. I similarly ran the ‘sudo mender install’. It again showed: “We couldn’t find a Hosted Mender account with those credentials.”

I had been doing the same setup steps previously. It is not working now.

Regards,
Saman

1 Like

@peter can you help here?

Hello @SamanRatna, are you accessing Hosted Mender using OAuth 2 authentication (Google or GitHub) or standard email and password?

standard email and password

Saman

@SamanRatna I suppose the same credentials work for logging into Hosted Mender, right? Can you please share with us the full transcript of your console installing the client and running the setup?

I have similar problem. I think that mender-client config tries to connect to hosted.mender.com by default. And if have created account in the eu server, then it can’t connect to it. It will be nice if mender asks which server we need to connect before insert credentials.

I think I have this same probleme, I am 100% sure of my credentials for hosted.mender.io but I have a eu account and have this messsage: We couldn’t find a Hosted Mender account with those credentials.

Right! You must distinguish between hosted.mender.io and eu.hosted.mender.io.

mender setup \
                --device-type "$DEVICE_TYPE" \
                --server-url "https://eu.hosted.mender.io" \
                --demo-polling
1 Like

thank you, is it possible for me to connect to it when I first install the mender-client ? (sudo apt-get install mender-client)

After you installed mender client you need to configure it. Recommended way is with mender setup. Or you can edit /etc/mender/mender.conf and overwrite it after mender client is installed. Use jq tool to update or add config values to mender.conf. So its scriptable with shell.
Example:

jq '. + { "ArtifactVerifyKey": "/etc/mender/artifact-verify-key.pem" }' /etc/mender/mender.conf > \ /tmp/mender.conf.tmp && mv /tmp/mender.conf.tmp /etc/mender/mender.conf
1 Like