U-Boot error - Did not find a dtb specified in KERNEL_DEVICETREE

Hi,
I’m trying to integrate mender into our U-Boot but can’t work out how to get around the following error:

ERROR: u-boot-1_2019.07-r0 do_provide_mender_defines: Did not find a dtb specified in KERNEL_DEVICETREE
ERROR: u-boot-1_2019.07-r0 do_provide_mender_defines: Execution of '/ws/rufilla/octopus/yocto/build-release/tmp/work/octopuck_mt7688an-poky-linux/u-boot/1_2019.07-r0/temp/run.do_provide_mender_defines.20022' failed

I’ve set
MENDER_UBOOT_AUTO_CONFIGURE = "0"
in my U-Boot bbappend

the kernel recipe does have KERNEL_DEVICETREE actually set so I’m not sure why it’s now working. If I run

bitbake virtual/bootloader -e | grep KERNEL_DEVICETREE
I get nothing so I’m guessing that the U-Boot recipe can’t see this variable.

I’m using the zeus-next branch.

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

I set KERNEL_DEVICETREE in my machine configuration file and U-Boot now builds.

Not entirely sure where this variable should exist the manual says

The meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-dtb.inc file has been removed. This file was previously deprecated in favor of setting KERNEL_DEVICETREE in any kernel recipe and only produced a warning. Remove any include or require statements pointing to this file.

Which kind of infers the recipe but in the recipe you end up using

KERNEL_DEVICETREE_machine = “xxx”

so it also makes sense to put it in the machine configuration file.

Glad you where able to solve this.

Please note that there is proper zeus branch now.

Which kind of infers the recipe but in the recipe you end up using
KERNEL_DEVICETREE_machine = “xxx”
so it also makes sense to put it in the machine configuration file.

Yeah, hard to interpret the manual. Based on experience it seems to be more common to have it in the machine configuration and looking in poky sources there is a mix and the beaglebone-yocto.conf has this entry in the machine configuration as well.

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/3.0/bsp-guide/bsp-guide.html#bsp-machine-configuration-example

I’ll switch to the zeus branch :slight_smile:

KERNEL_DEVICETREE feels like it logically belongs in the machine configuration as it’s particular to that machine so I’m happy to keep it there.