[Self-hosted Mender with Kubernetes] Documentation is missing some steps?

Hi!

Hope this post isn’t a pain but i’m having some trouble getting Mender to run in my Kubernetes environment (specifically OpenShift).

In the integration git repo, there is a (minimal) diagram of all of the services which make up the Mender application.

However, when going through the cluster-setup.md, I can’t seem to find how the storage-proxy fits in to a deployment (it’s conspicuously missing from the Kubernetes section of the doc).

My assumption is that the storage-proxy will need a Kubernetes service to allow a connection from the mender-deployments component. But, in the doc, it seems to just want to setup direct connection between mender-deployments and minio. Is the doc out of date?

Hi @sabjorn , unfortunately this document is definitely out of date and not something that we officially maintain.

I was not even aware it existed and will probably remove it to avoid future confusion or make it more explicit that it is not a maintained/official document.

My suggestion would be to look at the docker-compose files to figure out how it is all connected in that particular setup and try to mimic that.

Hi, @sabjorn

My assumption is that the storage-proxy will need a Kubernetes service to allow a connection from the mender-deployments component.

Your assumption is correct, one service is required for internal communication (let’s call it minio_internal_service for instance) with deployments service and another one for external (minio_external_service). When a deployment is available then deployments service calls S3 API (minio_internal_service) to generate unique URI for a device to download an artifact and this URI should contain IP/FQDN of minio_external_service.

It’s not necessary to use Minio, any S3 API compatible storage can be used, so, you can also try to use Ceph. We didn’t test it but I believe it should work.

P.S.: It would be really great contribution if you share your configuration with the community.

1 Like

All my work will be on a public git. However, I don’t know how digestible it will be since it is all for an OpenShift template.

Another question:
What is mender-etcd for? It appears in the kubernete files but I can’t find it anywhere else…

Operating under the assumption (now confirmed by you), I have indeed been able to get everything up.

Quick question:
What is mender-etcd for? It appears in the kubernetes files but I can’t find any reference to it otherwise…

Quick question:
What is mender-etcd for? It appears in the kubernetes files but I can’t find any reference to it otherwise…

@sabjorn mender-etcd is not needed and can be removed.

Also integration/extra/kubernetes contains 4 mender-mongo-* deployments and related services which is outdated, in some of previous releases this all was merged to use one single DB instance.

thanks for getting back to me! This has been a great deal of help!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Self-hosted Mender with Kubernetes (OpenShift)