Raspberry Pi OS 64 Bit conversion

Hello,

I’ve tried to do a conversion of a vanilla 2022.01 Raspberry Pi OS 64bit image directly from the raspberry pi foundation and had no success. The only thing I changed in the config files was in raspberrypi4_config to have RASPBERRYPI_KERNEL_IMAGE="kernel8.img" as that is the 64 bit kernel, and it failed to actually boot past the rainbow splash screen. Mender-config did not throw any errors. Ideas?

This Is prbably due the fact that the u-boot image installed is compiled as 32bit binary which in turn expects to load a 32 bit kernel.

1 Like

FYI: We will start looking into this in the near future:

Here is the (not yet broken down) epic if you guys are curious

https://tracker.mender.io/browse/MEN-5634

1 Like

Hi @oleorhagen ,

I’m currently having issues converting a 64bit ubuntu for RaspberryPi. Is there any update on this topic? Is a 64bit conversion currently possible/supported by mender-convert?

Thanks and best regards
Ruben

We had the same issue and also wanted to be able to update firmware files, which, unfortunately is not possible with the existing OTA strategy. As a result, we ended up developing our own solution using the new tryboot feature of Raspberry Pi’s boot loader. We integrated our solution into Mender with a custom update module and it seems to work quite well. We still need to do some further testing, though.

We also made the system’s core open-source, if you want to check it out: Home | Rugpi

If you are interested in our Mender integration, just drop me a message (koehl@silitics.com). I am happy to share the details and send you the update module.

hi koehlma,

I’m interested on your integration.Could you please send the update module?

Thanks and best regards
John

Hi koehlma,

I’m interested in your Mender integration.Could you please send me the update module?

Thanks and best regards
John

I realized that private messages have apparently been disabled in this forum after posting. Can you please send me an email, so I can reach out to you. My email address is koehl@silitics.com.

Hello guys!
I have the exactly same problem with the 64-bit raspbery image. The service that I intented to use supports only 64-bit environment so I can not move to 32-bit version of the raspbian.
Can you please help me how can I use the mender-convert tool to with 64-bit version of raspbian?

Thank you for your reply!

Hello @durnek60 currently we do not support the 64-bit version.

Support is planned though, but there is no clear timeline as of yet.