Raspberry PI 3 B+ Writing to Redundant MMC(0)

I am having issues with the Raspberry PI 3 B+ board, it seems. I have no issues with Raspberry 3 B, Raspberry PI zero, but one user is saying they are getting this error:

mmc0_error

I used the same size SD card (8gb) but I don’t get this error on my RPI 3 B board. Previous builds (sumo) worked fine but now for some reason things are just not working on the (thud) build. Also,I made the wifi working by adding linux-firmware-rpidistro-bcm43430 to the install.

Here is the build file:

# Mender Specific

INHERIT += "mender-full"

MENDER_ARTIFACT_NAME = "release-2019.02.18"

#MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi0-wifi"

MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"

MENDER_BOOT_PART_SIZE_MB = "40"

MENDER_PARTITION_ALIGNMENT = "4194304"

IMAGE_FSTYPES_remove += " rpi-sdimg"

# Extra Storage for php-int

MENDER_STORAGE_TOTAL_SIZE_MB = "1224"

IMAGE_ROOTFS_MAXSIZE = "2500000"

# RPI Specific

RPI_USE_U_BOOT = "1"

DISABLE_RPI_BOOT_LOGO = "1"

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " kernel-image kernel-devicetree"

IMAGE_FSTYPES_remove += " rpi-sdimg"

DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd wifi"

# App Specific

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " kernel-image kernel-devicetree kernel-modules linux-firmware-bcm43430 linux-firmware-rpidistro-bcm43430 wpa-supplicant iw bash hostapd dnsmasq iptables avahi-daemon fcgi php php-cli php-fpm nginx nmap dos2unix android-tools python3 nodejs icu node-ssdp wol libcec initscript eddy eddycheck eddyclient cec-client-server"

# General Info

DISTRO ?= "poky"

CONF_VERSION = "1"

DL_DIR ?= "/portable/yocto/rocko/downloads"

PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu-native = " sdl"

PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-nativesdk-qemu = " sdl"

PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm"

USER_CLASSES ?= "buildstats image-mklibs image-prelink"

PATCHRESOLVE = "noop"

BB_DISKMON_DIRS ??= "\

STOPTASKS,${TMPDIR},1G,100K \

STOPTASKS,${DL_DIR},1G,100K \

STOPTASKS,${SSTATE_DIR},1G,100K \

STOPTASKS,/tmp,100M,100K \

ABORT,${TMPDIR},100M,1K \

ABORT,${DL_DIR},100M,1K \

ABORT,${SSTATE_DIR},100M,1K \

ABORT,/tmp,10M,1K"

# In order to build from the repository that Jenkins has cloned, instead of

# letting bitbake pull the sources, we use "externalsrc".

INHERIT += "externalsrc"

# Host Name

hostname_pn-base-files = "EddyBridge"

I needed to increase the file size because the php-intl made the file size much bigger.

Hi,

I do not see any obvious errors with your configuration, and not an error I have seen before.

I have thud running on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which hints that it might be something environment specific or hardware (e.g broken SD cards or something along those lines).

You could try out the demo environment we provide as a reference,

https://hub.mender.io/t/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-b/

I just got my PI 3 B+ and I see the error now. I noticed when the build was being made that it was recompiling the kernel to add support for PHP international module. Maybe this is related to the Boot firmware files ? I see in that page that there is a workaround but it says it’s not safe to do this. Is there any explanation to why it’s not safe? Also, it’s not clear how I am suppose to run this patch; I created the files but the build didn’t pick it up, even though the path is in the bblayers. It seems that maybe you have to run this every time I create a build? Anyways, i’m still testing to see if this workaround works or not.

It is unsafe because you can not perform the update of the bootfiles atomically, and you can not roll-back in case you update to a non-working bootloader.

Looks like there must be some general issue with sdhost for rpi pls check this: u-boot mailing list post

I added the raspberry pi 3 b+ wireless driver and it seems to be working now. I read that in the latest thud for mender, you don’t need to add the wireless driver, but I always have to. This was what I was missing:

linux-firmware-rpidistro-bcm43455

Can some else please do me a favor and test the image on their raspberry pi 3 b+? The user who said he had the problem still says he has the problem. The instructions and download can be found here:

The RPI 3 image can be found here:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/downloads.tinyelectrons.com/eddy_bridge.tar.gz

Thanks,
– Jorge