No match between boot and root partitions

Hi all
My sd card partition for my target board is as follows:
/dev/mmcbkl0p1 – for kernel
/dev/mmcbkl0p2 – for uboot
/dev/mmcbkl0p3 – /
/dev/mmcbkl0p4-- extra partition for dual boot

What changes need to be done in this partition scheme in order to meet the partition layout requirements of the mender. I understand that an extra partition for persistent data would be required. What else?
As of now, while running mender daemon, it throws the following Error

ERRO[0000] Failed to read the current active partition: No match between boot and root partitions.: exit status 243

How to resolve this?

Hi @abhishek,

The basics are covered here. Will the mechanics for a Yocto build are different, the underlying structures are similar.

Note that we don’t usually leave the kernel in a separate partition but rather stored as a file in the root filesystem. This ensures redundancy and rollback capability.

Without knowing more about your system, I would expect your partition structure to looks something like:

• /dev/mmcblk0p1 - UBoot (maybe not depending on how Uboot works on your device; on many platforms it is actually stored in unpartitioned space)
  • /dev/mmcblk0p2 - root filesystem A
  • /dev/mmcblk0p3 - root filesystem B
  • /dev/mmcblk0p4 - data partition

Is there a reason you are doing this manually rather than using our mender-convert (for debian style systems) or Yocto integrations which will set it up for you?

Drew

I am using U54 target board (RISC-V) where I have 3 partitions by default, bootloader, kernel and rootfs.
I suspect mender-conver tool would be targeting ARM architecture. Will it recognise all 3 partitions? Can I use it create image for my target from by golden image?

I am currently building mender from source and able to transfer simple files. With filesystem update, it is creating this issue!

Thanks for your response

I don’t know if mender-convert will support that board or not but I suspect there will be issues.
It definitely won’t work with the kernel as a separate partition.
You may be able to address both issues with a custom integration.

Building from source may get you a working system to transfer simple files. As you noted, doing the robust full image updates requires more effort.

Drew

Can you guide me where exactly I should dig further to solve this issue?
I have managed to transfer simple file but this problem occurs while filesystem update. I have even tested by creating data partition but still got same error!
Looks like uboot issue!

Thanks

You will not be able to do a filesystem update without doing a full integration using either mender-convert or Yocto. Those doc links should get you started but it’s hard to say what issues you will face given that this is a new architecture.
Drew

Mender-convert needs config file which is not available for my target board (u54). Can pi4 config file be used as sample to create config file in this command?

MENDER_ARTIFACT_NAME=release-1 ./docker-mender-convert \
    --disk-image input/golden-image-1.img \
    --config configs/raspberrypi3_config \
    --overlay rootfs_overlay_demo/

Not likely. That is the config file that customizes mender-convert for your platform. You will need to determine what is needed for your platform and store it in a custom config file. That’s essentially what is needed for a mender-convert integration.

Drew