MENDER_PARTITION_ALIGNMENT, Raspberry Pi and historical reasons

Hi,

Moving a small discussion with @mirzak from https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender/pull/975#issuecomment-670377457 to here as I feel it makes more sense over here. It’s about Yocto not building for Raspberry Pi 3B+ when I set MENDER_PARTITION_ALIGNMENT = "4194304" - the build process will complain that CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET is incorrect. To fix this I need to patch the patch :slight_smile: so that the below values are used:

CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET=0x400000
CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET_REDUND=0x800000

Though I understand from @mirzak , one should not set MENDER_PARTITION_ALIGNMENT anymore for the dunfell branch and without that set, it should build. While that is indeed correct, I cannot upgrade with the generated mender artifact, it will fail because the partitions don’t align.

So, seeing that in the past MENDER_PARTITION_ALIGNMENT needed to be set, and I actually did set it back then, doesn’t this mean I need to keep it set now? And if so, how would I go about telling Mender to use different values for CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET and CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET_REDUND?

Hi @WeZzyNL,

Thanks for moving the discussion here.

I cannot upgrade with the generated mender artifact, it will fail because the partitions don’t align.

Alignment should not matter in Mender Artifacts. Can you share an error log?

And if so, how would I go about telling Mender to use different values for CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET and CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET_REDUND ?

Due to changes in U-Boot, we could not longer provide these automatically and one needs to update the patch to align with values in MENDER_PARTITION_ALIGNMENT, if you change this from the defaults.

Hmm. I’ve removed MENDER_PARTITION_ALIGNMENT and removed my patch that changed the CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET and CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET_REDUND. Tried a fresh build and roll-out on multiple test machines here locally and it seems to work now.

I guess I had an incorrect configuration or was working with a different artifact than I thought I was working with… This was at the end of the day yesterday, so who knows.

Thanks for the quick answers and I think it’s safe to assume all is well and I just garbled things up.

dunfell, here we go!

Wes

1 Like