iWave Arria 10 Mender build issue

Moving this over from the Google Group.
https://groups.google.com/a/lists.mender.io/forum/#!topic/mender/UXB9cR4G9sE

I am porting my mender integration onto the iWave iW-RainboW-G24M Arria10 SOC Module.
https://www.iwavesystems.com/arria-10-soc-som.html

The standard iWave Yocto build is based on the Angstrom release: angstrom-v2017.06-yocto2.3.
GCC version: linaro-5.2.

I have both the standard iWave u-boot & kernel building from Yocto.
I have both of these running on the module.

I seem to have integrated Mender into the u-boot and have this running on the iWave module.

However when I attempt to build the Mender kernel I’m getting errors with the mender do_install script:

| /home/gnewman/yocto/mender-iwg24m-release-bsp/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.6.0-r0/temp/run.do_install.9926: line 125: -Wl,--hash-style=gnu: command not found_
| WARNING: /home/gnewman/yocto/mender-iwg24m-release-bsp/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.6.0-r0/temp/run.do_install.9926:1 exit 127 from 'GOOS=$(eval $(${GO} env) && echo $GOOS)'_
| ERROR: Function failed: do_install (log file is located at /home/gnewman/yocto/mender-iwg24m-release-bsp/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.6.0-r0/temp/log.do_install.9926)_**
ERROR: Task (/home/gnewman/yocto/mender-iwg24m-release-bsp/layers/meta-mender/meta-mender-core/recipes-mender/mender/mender_1.6.0.bb:do_install) failed with exit code '1'_
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 2291 tasks of which 2280 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed._
NOTE: Writing buildhistory_

Looking at the run.do_install.9926 file I see that the line previous line is an intall -d:

do_install() {_
    install -d /home/gnewman/yocto/mender_yocto/build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.5.0-r0/image//usr/bin_

GOOS=$(eval $(arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-go env) && echo $GOOS)_

When I check the directory

/home/gnewman/yocto/mender_yocto/build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.5.0-r0/image//usr/bin

I can see that there is nothing in the dir.

Checking my succesful mender build from my Intel Arria10 board I see that there is a mender binary in this directory:

gnewman@server-1:~/yocto/mender_yocto/build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.5.0-r0/image/usr/bin$ ls -als
total 7168_
   4 drwxr-xr-x 2 gnewman gnewman    4096 Jan 30 09:04 ._
   4 drwxr-xr-x 5 gnewman gnewman    4096 Jan 30 09:04 .._
7160 -rwxr-xr-x 1 gnewman gnewman 7330164 Jan 30 09:04 mender

Is this binary an output from do_compile?
I’m guessing that the lack of this binary what is causing my error?

If so, I do not get any previous build errors, what would prevent the binary from being created?

As always, any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gary

Edit: @mirzak, prettify using pre-formated text for code-blocks. Change title to “Mender build issue” as this is related to the Mender binary and not kernel (which might be confused with Linux kernel)

Is this binary an output from do_compile?

Yes the binary is supposed to be created during do_compile and installed to ${D}/${bindir} during do_install.

And it is a bit strange that you get an error during do_install and not do_compile, the error being:

run.do_install.9926: line 125: -Wl,--hash-style=gnu: command not found

Can you check which command it is running at run.do_install.9926: line 125:

It would be interesting to see the log of the do_compile step, that is content of:

/home/gnewman/yocto/mender-iwg24m-release-bsp/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.6.0-r0/temp/run.do_compile

Ah, it seems that this command is failing,

eval $(go env) && echo $GOOS

Can you try running bitbake -c devshell mender and then run above, and check what the output is.

Hm,

I tried your setup, using:

repo init -u git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manifest -b angstrom-v2017.06- yocto2.3
repo sync
MACHINE=arria10 . setup-environment

I cloned and added meta-mender-core to bblayers.conf and then ran bitbake mender. I do not get any errors, which hints to me that this is a host environment problem.

What is your host machine? I am running a debian9 machine.

root@server-1:~/yocto/mender-iwg24m-release-bsp/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.6.0-r0/git# eval $(go env) && echo $GOOS
linux

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

And what does gcc --version produce on your host machine?

Ah but of course this doesn’t include the iWave patch.
Maybe there could be some problem between Mender and the iWave changes.

IWave install instructions are as follows:

To setup the yocto, follow the procedure given below.
• Set the Git username and create a build directory using below commands.
git config --global user.name "Your Name"** ** git config --global user.email "Your Email"
mkdir iwg24m-release-bsp** ** cd iwg24m-release-bsp
• Download the altera.xml file and repo utility using below commands.
wget http://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2018.05/gsrd/src/altera.xml** ** wget http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo
• Change the permission on repo file using below command.
** chmod 777 repo** **• Export the PATH to current directory execute below command.** ** export PATH=PATH:~/iwg24m-release-bsp** **• Download angstrom-manifest using below commands.** ** repo init -u git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manifest -b angstrom-v2017.06-**
yocto2.3
• Create a local manifest directory and move altera.xml file to local manifest using below commands.
mkdir -p .repo/local_manifests** ** mv altera.xml .repo/local_manifests/
• Open manifest.xml file and do the changes as shown below
vi .repo/manifest.xml
• Delete the below line

• Complete the download using below command.
repo sync** **• Set the Machine ID and setup environment using below command.** ** MACHINE=iwg24m . ./setup-environment
• To add the meta-altera-refdes layer to conf/bblayers.conf execute below command.
sed -i '/meta-altera/a \ \ {TOPDIR}/layers/meta-altera-refdes \’ conf/bblayers.conf
• To remove the meta-atmel layer and meta-gumstix-community from conf/bblayers.conf execute below
command.
sed -i '/meta-atmel/d' conf/bblayers.conf** ** sed -i ‘/meta-gumstix-community/d’ conf/bblayers.conf
REL0.1
Page 11 of 37 iWave Systems Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
iW-RainboW-G24M Linux User Manual
• Un-tar the Source-Code.tar.gz file from deliverables.
cd <path to iW-RainboW-G24M-CU-Rx.x-RELx.x-Arria10-SX480-Linux4.9.78-YoctoPyro_Deliverables>/** **iW-RainboW-G24M-CU-R2.2-REL0.1-Arria10-SX480-Linux4.9.78-YoctoPyro_Deliverables/Source-Code/** ** tar –xvf Source-Code.tar.gz
• The Yocto patch file is located in below path in deliverables.
<path_to_Source-Code>/Source-Code/Linux/Yocto/PATCH000-iW-PRFAZ-SC-01-R2.2-REL0.1-** **YoctoPyro_basic_customization.patch** **• To apply the Yocto patch file, execute the below commands.** ** patch -Np1 < /PATCH000-iW-PRFAZ-SC-01-R2.2-REL0.1-
YoctoPyro_basic_customization.patch
• Execute below command to compile kernel images and yocto filesystem for iW-G24M platform.
$ bitbake gsrd-console-image

I tried to upload the patch but wasn’t allowed.

Gary

root@server-1:~/yocto/mender-iwg24m-release-bsp/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.6.0-r0/git# gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.4) 4.8.4
Copyright © 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

You could also try without the iWave patches, if that works then you have a reference.

If you still have problems I suspect you need to update your host environment, or at least gcc.

Good point I’ll try.

Just to update you, I tried the same build as you.

repo init -u git://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manifest -b angstrom-v2017.06- yocto2.3
repo sync
git clone -b thud git://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender
MACHINE=arria10 . setup-environment
Added meta-mender-core to bblayers.

I hit an error which I think I’ve seed before & then hit the do_install error:

ERROR: mender-1.7.0-r0 do_populate_lic: QA Issue: mender: LIC_FILES_CHKSUM points to an invalid file: /home/gnewman/yocto/iWave/angstrom_repo/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.7.0-r0/git/src/github.com/mendersoftware/mender/LIC_FILES_CHKSUM.sha256 [license-checksum]
ERROR: mender-1.7.0-r0 do_install: Function failed: do_install (log file is located at /home/gnewman/yocto/iWave/angstrom_repo/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.7.0-r0/temp/log.do_install.27979)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/gnewman/yocto/iWave/angstrom_repo/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/mender/1.7.0-r0/temp/log.do_install.27979

Have you seen this LIC_FILES_CHKSUM.sha256 error before?

Anyway as this looks like an environment issue, I’ll create a a debian9 virtual machine and try again.

Thanks

Gary

Please try using pyro branch of meta-mender as well, as the rest of the layers are at the same if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Because of this,

Anyway as this looks like an environment issue, I’ll create a a debian9 virtual machine and try again.

Does it? Because if it works without iWave patches in your current environment then it is probably something that comes in from the applied patches that messes it up.

I would check tool-chain changes or compiler flags first.

I’ll try pyro.

Im a little confused, maybe I’m missing something.
As it still doesn’t work without iWave then I thought this points toward the environment.

Well it is not the same error, as it seems that it has passed do_compile and do_install and failed on do_populate_lic, and this is probably due to the fact that you are using thud of meta-mender.

I suspect that it will compile just fine if you pyro of meta-mender.

Ah sorry, I saw the do_populate_lic early on in the build & then saw the do_install error near the end.

But as you suggest, I will try pyro and let you know.

Ok that did indeed build clean, I’ll integrate iWave and see what happens.

Hi Mizrak,

So I’ve been attempting to install mender pyro on to of a clean iWave install and I’ve hit some issues.

I’ve done the following in this order:

• Installed & synced a new repo (angstrom-v2017.06-
    yocto2.3)

• Patched Linux & uboot for iWave.

• Successfully built iWave u-boot and gsrd-console-image.

• Added mender:
    git clone -b pyro git://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender
    MACHINE=iwg24m . ./setup-environment

• Added meta-mender-core to bblayers.conf & successfully built bitbake mender

• I have then configured the layers for mender:

1. Added mender variables to local.conf
  2. Added mender changes to u-boot recipe.
  3. Added mender changes to machine conf.
  4. Changed meta-mender-core patch 0003-Integration-of-Mender-boot-code-into-U-Boot.patch (In every build I’ve had to rewrite this patch so that it will apply to my u-boot v2014.10-r1)
  5. Added patch 0005-default-gcc.patch (allows fw_printenv to be built for my target).
  6. Updated u-boot-mender-common.inc for new patches.
  7. Added patch to u-boot recipe to configure socfpga_arria10.h with Mender config defines.
  • I have then attempted to build bitbake gsrd-console-image

This is then giving me the following error:

ERROR: u-boot-fw-utils-1_2017.01-r0 do_patch: Command Error: ‘quilt --quiltrc /home/gnewman/yocto/iWave/iWave-mender-yocto/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/iwg24m-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fw-utils/1_2017.01-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/etc/quiltrc push’ exited with 0 Output:
Applying patch 0003-Integration-of-Mender-boot-code-into-U-Boot.patch
patching file include/env_default.h
patching file scripts/Makefile.autoconf
Hunk #1 FAILED at 78.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED – rejects in file scripts/Makefile.autoconf
Patch 0003-Integration-of-Mender-boot-code-into-U-Boot.patch does not apply (enforce with -f)
ERROR: u-boot-fw-utils-1_2017.01-r0 do_patch: Function failed: patch_do_patch
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/gnewman/yocto/iWave/iWave-mender-yocto/build/tmp-angstrom-glibc/work/iwg24m-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fw-utils/1_2017.01-r0/temp/log.do_patch.9859
ERROR: Task (/home/gnewman/yocto/iWave/iWave-mender-yocto/layers/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-fw-utils_2017.01.bb:do_patch) failed with exit code '1’

This is because I had to change 0003-Integration-of-Mender-boot-code-into-U-Boot.patch to apply to my u-boot build. But in this scenario I seem to be building a separate u-boot-fw-utils build. This build is different to my u-boot & therefore the patch will not apply to it.

Do you know why u-boot-fw-utils* is being built? I have never had to build this in any of my previous builds and I’m not aware that I’m using any different configurations. I have not made any changes to u-boot-fw-utils & was under the impression from the ‘Manual U-Boot integration’ section of the documentation, that this would be based on the source of my u-boot build?

Thanks for any help,

Gary