Issue with phytec phycore-imx7

Hello,

I would like to test Mender on a phycore-iMX7 SOM from Phytec.

Before integrating Mender into my Yocto build, everything works fine.

I followed properly the instructions on Mender website to perform automatic integration of Mender into the build and there is no error during Yocto build, the sdimg is properly generated. The build is based on Yocto Sumo. Using fdisk, I see the 4 partitions generated into the sdimg.

When I try to boot on the .sdimg generated (flashed on SD card), I do not get any traces from the boot process, it seems like it does not boot at all, and I have no idea what can be the cause of that.

I looked the modification done into uboot by mender (by generating the patch) and nothing can explain a start failure.

I noticed the uboot.env generated is full of zeros, is that normal?
Any idea of where to look at firstly?

Regards,

Hi,

This is highly board specific, but you might need to use MENDER_IMAGE_BOOTLOADER_FILE and MENDER_IMAGE_BOOTLOADER_BOOTSECTOR_OFFSET to instruct the mender-part-images.bbclass to embedded your boot loader files in the resulting sdimg.

I noticed the uboot.env generated is full of zeros, is that normal?

This is normal, this file is only used to calculate size and does not actually contain the U-Boot environment

Hello Mirza,

Thanks for your answer.

I also figured out that MENDER_IMAGE_BOOTLOADER_FILE was missing so I added it to my conf and the bootloader binary is now available in the sdimg. For information the variable needs to be set at “u-boot.imx” for this particular board. Now U-Boot boots properly and the Mender environment is properly set.

MENDER_IMAGE_BOOTLOADER_BOOTSECTOR_OFFSET does need to be set for the phycore-imx7 as the default value of 2 is convenient.

After doing that, the kernel boots properly but the rootfs is broken:

/sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: libkmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What can explain that in the mender UBoot configuration?

Regards,

Problem solved. Troubles with rootfs in read-only.
Thanks for the support

1 Like