Issue compiling u-boot while updating layer

I’ve ran into a little trouble when trying to update u-boot to the master branch from Solid-Run.
Note: I’m also trying to update the kernel to v5.x.

I’ve managed to go through and remove the no longer required patches and update the integration and config patches where necessary but when it builds I have trouble with the do_check_mender_defines function.

When it runs the oe_runmake command (https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender/blob/master/meta-mender-core/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-mender-common.inc#L243) to (I believe) populate the build directory so it can validate the .config file it fails.

Looking at the output the following line caught my eye: Makefile:131: *** mixed implicit and normal rules. Stop., unfortunately I’m struggling to debug past that point and could use some assistance.

Below is a copy of the output:

yocto@yocto:~/mender-pub-latest/build$(parse_git_branch)$ bitbake -c do_check_mender_defines u-boot
Loading cache: 100% |###########################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:00
Loaded 1313 entries from dependency cache.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION           = "1.40.0"
BUILD_SYS            = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING      = "universal"
TARGET_SYS           = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE              = "clearfog-pro"
DISTRO               = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION       = "2.6.3"
TUNE_FEATURES        = "arm armv7a vfp thumb neon callconvention-hard"
TARGET_FPU           = "hard"
meta
meta-poky
meta-yocto-bsp       = "HEAD:55e9d7c1e4e561b0a3e77d55599752a57a6b8215"
meta-mender-core
meta-mender-demo     = "HEAD:ba3db70bd290d4f92bf3987014271db2d9d16ad4"
meta-mender-clearfog = "HEAD:42709a7406a466f5d093198948c34fc8ecd194ff"
meta-clearfog        = "HEAD:f8e3e7cc782b9ece63e740fded5fb51bfdde223b"

Initialising tasks: 100% |######################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:00
Sstate summary: Wanted 0 Found 0 Missed 0 Current 50 (0% match, 100% complete)
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
ERROR: u-boot-solidrun-a38x-1_%-r0 do_check_mender_defines: oe_runmake failed
ERROR: u-boot-solidrun-a38x-1_%-r0 do_check_mender_defines: Function failed: do_check_mender_defines (log file is located at /home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/temp/log.do_check_mender_defines.33838)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/temp/log.do_check_mender_defines.33838
Log data follows:
| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_check_mender_defines
| NOTE: make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi- CC=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc  --sysroot=/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot V=1 HOSTCC=gcc  -isystem/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/include -O2 -pipe -L/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/lib -L/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/lib -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/lib -Wl,-rpath,/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/lib -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -Wl,--dynamic-linker=/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/sysroots-uninative/x86_64-linux/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 PYTHON=nativepython STAGING_INCDIR=/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/include STAGING_LIBDIR=/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/lib -C /home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/git O=/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/build clearfog_defconfig
| make: Entering directory '/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/git'
| Makefile:131: *** mixed implicit and normal rules.  Stop.
| make: Leaving directory '/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/git'
| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
| WARNING: /home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/temp/run.do_check_mender_defines.33838:1 exit 1 from 'exit 1'
| ERROR: Function failed: do_check_mender_defines (log file is located at /home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/tmp/work/clearfog_pro-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-solidrun-a38x/1_%-r0/temp/log.do_check_mender_defines.33838)
ERROR: Task (/home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/../sources/meta-clearfog/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-solidrun-a38x_%.bb:do_check_mender_defines) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 380 tasks of which 379 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/yocto/mender-pub-latest/build/../sources/meta-clearfog/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-solidrun-a38x_%.bb:do_check_mender_defines
Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

If anyone is interested I have a WIP repo at: https://github.com/Valks/meta-mender-community/tree/latest

Modifications have been done to the clearfog template. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Which U-boot version are you updating to? I guess we have never tried anything newer the 2018.07 so problems are to be expected I guess if it is moved a long way past that.

Unfortunately the error message does not ring any bells on my end:

Makefile:131: *** mixed implicit and normal rules

and would require a deeper investigation.

I just pulled down the master branch from SolidRun

I know (from talking about other issues with people) that there’s a patch or two around pci-e which I require to fix a hardware issue I’m having.

For the record it is an 2019.07 U-boot,

Thanks, good to know.