Install docker-compose on Yocto, bbappend not being picked up

Hi TheYoctoJester,
I’m trying to add docker and docker-compose to my image following the above referenced tutorial. I’m able to run docker --version but it seems that docker-compose is not being installed. My bbappend file looks like this:
FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := “/:”
SRC_URI += “file://netfilter.cfg”

Do I need to populate THISDIR and PN before running bitbake?
Many Thanks!,
Hackenstein

Hi @hackenstein,

The example for adding the netfilter.cfg config fragment is meta-mender-community/kas/demos/meta-mender-demo-app-updates/dynamic-layers/raspberrypi/recipes-kernel/linux-raspberrypi/linux-raspberrypi_6.1.bbappend at master · mendersoftware/meta-mender-community · GitHub.

THISDIR and PN are automatically populated, but the .bbappend that you gave would expect netfilter.cfg in /, which almost certainly is wrong. Does the file even get parsed? Check this with bitbake-layers show-appends.

On which Yocto release are you? Note that docker-compose is not available until mickledore.

Greets,
Josef

Thanks Josef, it appears that it is working after all. I was running docker-compose --version instead of docker compose --version. Not that docker compose --version returns a version but it at least recognizes the command and returns a usage menu.

As far as the netfilter.cfg in /, I pasted the code to create the .bbappend file into the command prompt and executed it and it appears the process replaced the
FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := “${THISDIR}/${PN}:”
with
FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := “/:”
I’ve since gone into the bbappend file and changed it back and rerun bitbake but it’s not picking up any changes:
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 5505 tasks of which 5505 didn’t need to be rerun and all succeeded.
So no new image file is being generated. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS I’m on nanbield

Hi @hackenstein,

So there’s definitely something off with your bbappend. So first and foremost, just ripping out the THISDIR and PN evaluation from FILESEXTRASPATHS definitely won’t work. The fact that your build is not falling over indicates that the file is not even being parsed.
How does the directory structure in your layer look like? Did you base it off the demo layer, and drop it right next to the example? In that case, dynamic layer filtering might kick in.
All in all, the simplest would probably be if you can show a tree dump of your layer, or the layer itself on GitHub or the likes.

Greets,
Josef

Here’s the tree dump

Hi @hackenstein,

There’s a couple of issues here.
First, you are missing a hierarchy level. Look at the BBFILES regex in your layers conf/layer.conf, and see that you need at least recipes-kernel/linux/whatever.bbappend for the bbappend to be picked up. Second, just linux.bbappend will fail as bitbake does not know about a linux recipe. There are a number of recipes for the linux kernel, and your append needs to select one through its name. Please see the documentation on creating a bbappend: 2 Common Tasks — The Yocto Project ® 4.3.999 documentation

Greets,
Josef