How to porperly add a "provides" to the inventory?

I would like to add a provides in the inventory of our devices. To do this, I use the option -p config_variant:some_hash when building the artifact. The provides field does show up in the mender client when I do mender show-provides yet that information is not shown in the device’s inventory on the web page. Am I missing something ?

mender-client : 2.6.0 (supposedly, doing mender --version returns unknown runtime: go1.15.8)
mender-artifact: 3.5.1
built using buildroot
OS running on a raspberry pi 3B+

PS: Please move the topic if not at the right place. I did not find a general troubleshoot category

I would like to add a provides in the inventory of our devices. To do this, I use the 
option `-p config_variant:some_hash` when building the artifact. The provides field 
does show up in the mender client when I do `mender show-provides` yet that 
information is not shown in the device’s inventory on the web page. Am I missing 
something ?

Not that I can tell. I would have a look at what inventory scripts you have installed on the device. For our standard setup this is done by the mender-inventory-provides script (see here). Since you are using build-root I don’t really know how this was installed, so make sure the install-inventory target is run in the Makefile during installation.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you very much for putting me on the right track. I was indeed missing the provides option in the buildroot makefile:

$(foreach f,hostinfo network os rootfs-type provides, \
		$(INSTALL) -D -m 0755 $(@D)/support/mender-inventory-$(f) \
			$(TARGET_DIR)/usr/share/mender/inventory/mender-inventory-$(f)
	)
1 Like