Deployment path via Mender

Hello,

We are using both Mender self hosted and Enterprise, but I have failed to see such a deployment method on any of them:
What we want to be able to do is to create a deployment path: something along the lines: I define the following path:
v1.0 → v1.0.1 → v1.1 → v1.2 → v2.0 → v2.0.1 → v2.0.1 → v3
The thing is that I’ll flash a device and then store it, maybe for long periods of time. I want that device to be updated to the latest version (it needs to go through all the updates in order to get to the latest), without any intervention from my side.
On the Mender Enterprise, this could be solved by dynamic groups, but it would mean to create (in my presented case) at least 8 groups. Isn’t there a better way to achieve this?

I would love for the device to come online, ping the mender server and ask if there’s any updates for it. Once the server reads the version of the software from that device, create the deployments for that device, one after another, until the device’s up to date.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @silviub,

This is possible using indefinitely running deployments to dynamic groups, which depend on each other in a chain.

So the first deployment does v1.0 → v1.0.1, selects all devices of the device type and depends on v1.0, then keeps running forever.
The second one does v1.0.1 → v1.1, with matching depends.
The third does v1.1 → v1.2

I think you get it. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps and let us know if you have additional questions.

Greetz,
Josef

Hello @TheYoctoJester and thank you for the response.

That’s what I thought. Any way to do this without dynamic groups - I’m asking for using the open source / self hosted one.

Thank you.

Hi @silviub,

Nope, thats not possible. And as you explicitly stated using Enterprise, I assumed this is a valid solution for you.

Greetz,
Josef

@TheYoctoJester thank you.