Deployment limited to 100 devices?

Hello!

Yesterday was a big day for us. After months of work integrating Mender and migrating live devices we rolled out our first update using the Mender platform. To be honest I’m still quite thrilled about the whole thing :slight_smile:
First of all I’d like to thank the whole community for their support!

But there’s one more thing I don’t quite understand. We run a self hosted Mender 1.7.0. We run it in AWS and thus I’ve configured Mender to use an actual S3 bucket and no storage proxy. We have put all our production customer devices in a single group, there are over 150 devices in there now.
When I deployed our new artifact to the production group it selects only the first 100 devices.
I figured it would not be all that bad to deploy in batches. So I waited a day until most of the devices from the first group got deployed.

I assumed that doing a second deployment to de production group would select like the next 100 devices that didn’t get the new artifact yet. But it selected the same 100 devices. Which seems a bit inconvenient to me. Is it like this by design? Or is there a configuration default I missed somewhere? In the Administration documentation I can only find configuration values for this on the storage proxy, I can’t find anything about it on the gui or the deployments service.

Is it possible to deploy more than 100 devices using the Mender gui? Or is this something I’d need to arrange by myself using the Rest API?

Cheers,
Erik

Yesterday was a big day for us. After months of work integrating Mender and migrating live devices we rolled out our first update using the Mender platform. To be honest I’m still quite thrilled about the whole thing :slight_smile:
First of all I’d like to thank the whole community for their support!

Awesome and thanks for sharing the process of migrating to Mender.

Is it possible to deploy more than 100 devices using the Mender gui?

It should definitely be possible to deploy more then 100 devices using the Mender GUI and I am not aware of limitations that would be “by design”, and if it does not work it is probably a bug.

@michaelatmender, is this something that we have seen before?

Yes, this was a bit of a silly bug in the UI! It was fixed with https://github.com/mendersoftware/gui/pull/414

Yes, this was a bit of a silly bug in the UI! It was fixed with schedule a new deployment to all devices within a group instead of the first 100 by mzedel · Pull Request #414 · mendersoftware/gui · GitHub

This fix only seems to be applied to 2.x releases, is there a plan to backport this to 1.7.x?

1 Like

Ok, I’ll work around the issue using Postman for the time being.