/data partition directories from golden image missing from Mender converted image

Hi,

I’m using hosted Mender and creating a Mender converted image from a golden Debian image (Buster) with some packages and modifications. The image is for a RPi Zero W. I am using hosted Mender

In my golden image I have a /data partition and created a directory structure for my application e.g. /data/MyApp/dir1. I also have a /data/NetworkManager directory that has the connection profiles for Wifi. These profiles are symlink to the rootfs because I read that in a Mender forum post. The /data partition is owned by user:pi in the golden image.

From the golden image:

pi@raspberrypi:/ $ ls -l /data
total 24
drwx------ 2 pi root 16384 Nov 23 21:56 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 3 pi root  4096 Dec 31 23:55 NetworkManager
drwxr-xr-x 5 pi pi    4096 Jan 13 23:42 RAL

When I run mender convert the resulting image boots on the Pi Zero W but the /data partition is empty except for /data/mender. No /data/MyApp/dir1 and no /data/NetworkManager directories.

Here are my steps which follow the online Debian image steps:

/Mender/mender-convert$ ./scripts/bootstrap-rootfs-overlay-hosted-server.sh --output-dir /home/user/Mender/mender-convert/rootfs_overlay_demo --tenant-token "token here"

sudo MENDER_ARTIFACT_NAME=release-Jan21v2 ./docker-mender-convert --disk-image input/golden-image-Jan21.img --config configs/raspberrypi0w_config --config configs/argus_config --overlay rootfs_overlay_demo/

The argus_config file has only option which is MENDER_DATA_PART_GROWFS=y

I’ve re-flashed my golden image onto the device to doublecheck and the directories are all there so I don’t think there is anything wrong with my golden image file.

Is it a configuration option I’m missing or a problem with how the /data partition was created or the owner of the /data parition on the golden image?

Thanks!

In your golden image i’m pretty sure the data partition will be auto-created from the contents of a “/data” directory at the root of your golden image’s root file system, rather than creating your own partition in the golden image.

@dellgreen Thanks! If there was ever a facepalm moment it was this. :man_facepalming: Confusing the /data directory with a /data partition (after converting) ended up in a lot of lost time.