Can we create full rootfs client for virtual machine

How can i create image to create virtual machine from mender rootfs image?

Hi @test.test12p, welcome to Mender Hub.

I’m not completely clear on what you are asking. Where are you getting the Mender rootfs image, and for what platform is it built? We do support QEMU with Yocto builds.

In theory builds for specific platforms may be usable on various emulators but that’s more a question of the emulator and board. Mender should happily run in this environment.

If you can describe your needs in a more details, hopefully I can guide you further.

Drew

Hey @drewmoseley
Thanks for warm welcome.

I have created one image from Ubuntu operating system:
dd if=/dev/sda of=golden-image-1.img bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync
size is 31G golden-image-1.img

Now i’m just running mender-convert to .sdimg
DEVICE_TYPE=“beaglebone”

~/mender-convert/mender-convert from-raw-disk-image --raw-disk-image $RAW_DISK_IMAGE --mender-disk-image $MENDER_DISK_IMAGE --device-type $DEVICE_TYPE --artifact-name $ARTIFACT_NAME --bootloader-toolchain arm-linux-gnueabihf --server-url “https://hosted.mender.io” --tenant-token $TENANT_TOKEN --storage-total-size-mb 30720 *** Data partition size set to default value: 128MB *** 1/10 Shrinking raw disk image root filesystem… Warning: invalid/unsupported embedded raw disk image. Skipping resize… 2/10 Repartitioning raw disk image… Detected raw disk image with 3 partition(s). Calculating partitions’ sizes of the Mender image. /root/mender-convert/mender-convert-functions.sh: line 290: 62689247 8192 217088 * 512 : syntax error in expression (error token is "8192 217088 * 512 ")

I believe, i’m unable to create full rootfs .sdimg by mender-convert.
Am i running anything wrong?

I suggest you look into our new version of mender-convert. It’s still in development but considerably easier to expand than the previous version.

To clarify, we have not integrated mender-convert (either version) with Ubuntu on Beaglebone so there is likely work to do to enable that. We would love to have that as a contribution if you are so inclined.

Also, it may be easier to create the golden image from just the partition as it is likely going to be significantly smaller. And just to confirm, this golden image was created from an Ubuntu image for t the Beaglebone Black, correct?

Drew

Right

I created golden image from running Ubuntu machine.