Bug? Convert a raw disk image in MacOS fails (mktemp: illegal option -- p)

Hello,

I am trying to convert a raw disk image using MacOS. I followed the instructions on Convert a Mender Debian image | Mender documentation

I’m unclear about

Use the mender-convert container image
Run mender-convert from inside the container with your desired options, e.g.

When I run MENDER_ATRIFACT_NAME=my_release-1 ./docker-mender-convert --disk-image input/golden-0.1.img --config configs/raspberrypi4_config I’m getting the following error:

mktemp: illegal option -- p
usage: mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ...
       mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix 

What did I miss?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hi @BSBoatia

This simply means that the convertion script is run in a container, which is what is done when you do docker-mender-convert, like you have done above.

I would think the error stems from here:

This is the -p option on linux:

-p DIR, --tmpdir[=DIR]
              interpret TEMPLATE relative to DIR; if DIR is not specified, use $TMPDIR if set, else /tmp.  With this option, TEM‐
              PLATE must not be an absolute name; unlike with -t, TEMPLATE may contain slashes, but mktemp creates only the final
              component

To make the tempdir locate in the current directory.

If you can provide me with the Mac OS option, then I will fix this right now for you :slight_smile:

Thanks @oleorhagen, your input was very helpful. There doesn’t necessarily seem an equivalent to -p on OS-X. However, replaced the line with

WORK_DIR=$(mktemp -d 2>/dev/null || mktemp -d -t 'mytmpdir')

which Im copied from https://newbedev.com/fix-or-alternative-for-mktemp-in-os-x

and it’s doing the trick.

2 Likes

Just a nudge that I’ve experienced this issue just now, and the fix above works.

1 Like

@BSBoatia @edpgcooper

the mktemp issue is fixed in https://github.com/mendersoftware/mender-convert/pull/430.

However please be aware that macOS is not an actively supported platform for mender-conver at the moment, and especially the AArch64 variants are mostly uncharted territory.

Greetz,
Josef