Assigning device to a group via API results in 404 error

Hello all. I’m using Mender Professional and had a question regarding using the API (specifically this one https://docs.mender.io/api/#management-api-device-inventory-assign-group) to add an authorized device to a specific group. I’ve seen a handful of incidents (relatively rare) in our device provisioning flow that results in a 404 return code from this API when trying to add a new device that has just been authorized. Under what circumstances could this return a 404 other than the obvious scenario that the device doesn’t exist? If our flow preauthorizes and authorizes a new device and then immediately assigns it to a group, is it possible that the new device isn’t quite finished being provisioned on the backend leading to a 404 error when trying to assign it to a group?

Looks like there were data sync issues on June 16 which is when these errors happened for me. I’m assuming this is likely the cause.

We also had this happending today. I couldn’t seen anything in the status page today though. Is creating a preauthorized device via API and moving it into a group right afte rcreation succeeded triggering a race condition on mender side maybe?