Using autoboot.txt on Raspberry Pi

Has anyone attempted doing “true” A/B booting on the raspberry with the newer autoboot.txt support?

It seems to me that we dont need the special hack for copying the boot files to the boot partition etc.

Hi @mterwoord,

I’m not aware of anybody mentioning that yet. Technically it should be perfectly possible to harness this functionality via state script, very similar to the custom handling that NVidia Tegra needs for example.

Greetz,
Josef

Hi Josef,

I only just remembered posting this question. Because it’s been split, I didn’t receive a notification.

Am I right in thinking that utilizing this for the A/B image switching includes a safe way to switch the boot files? (ie, almost “unbrickable” situation)

With kind regards,
Matthijs ter Woord

Hi @mterwoord,

Having not tried it myself, I can just base my interpretation off the documentation.
As such, it doesn’t seem to be atomic as it requires swapping/replacing the autoboot.txt, which therefore is a single point of failure, as well as the RPi-specific firmware, respectively first stage bootloaders not being replaced too.
It might be an interesting alternative if one desires to remove u-boot for whatever reason, but I can’t immediately spot any real benefit.

Greetz,
Josef