User management settings changed in Mender 2.4.0b?

Hi,

I just updated to 2.4.0b, The create new user is removed or does it have any other way to create new user login through mender cli?
I was using mender 2.3.0 and create new user was there:

I can’t reproduce this, the button is still there for me in 2.4.0b1, and it works.

I couldn’t see, Could u snap shot the screen if you are okay with it plz. Its under user management rgt, same as 2.3.0? I didnt see there.

Hi,

This is the snapshot of my version of 2.4.0b1, I cant see the tab to create new user credentials.

1 Like

I’m sorry, my mistake, I was testing the Enterprise version, which does work. You’re right, the Open Source version is missing this button. I contacted our Frontend developer and he tells me this will be fixed in the 2.4 branch, so the button should be back in 2.4.0. Thanks for reporting this!

2 Likes

Hi @kacf,
Sure, thanks for the update Kristian, When is the expected release of 2.4.0 ?

1. Since you have mentioned Enterprise version, Could you tell me, Will I have major changes and features if I upgrade to Production server from demo?
  2. Also, When I was using demo server 2.3.0, I saw devices count was limited to 500, But in the 2.4.01b, I can’t see any limit, is there any limit to the devices I can onboard to Mender server?
  3. Also, please tell me, If I can mender client installed to all my devices, so basically pointing to My mender server, If I change to production server under same IP, will of my same devices show up ?

Hi @nishad1092 we are targeting early-to-mid July for the 2.4.0 release.

You can see the differences between our plans here: https://mender.io/plans/features

For on-premise installations, in earlier versions, there was a limit simply to avoid excess server load but that is simply a value you can modify in the yml file. In the 2.4.0 release that variable has been removed by default for on-premise installation.

As for the client locating the server, the relevant info is the SERVER_URL. As long as your production server uses the same FQDN then your devices will not need to be modified, unless you use a self-signed certificate. In that case you will need to ensure that the /etc/mender/server.crt file in your clients is updated to contain the right cert.

Drew

1 Like

Hi @drewmoseley,

Thank you so much for all the clarifications. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Also, Could you tell me, how to upgrade the Demo server version without having loss of data. I can see the upgrade for Production server only in the documentation.

@nishad1092 I’m not sure there is a method for that as the demo server is not expected to be used long term. @tranchitella or @merlin do you have any suggestions here?

Ohk, demo server is just for Evaluating the platform isn’t it?
So, I guess I need to think of setting up the Production server, for sure, right?

Hi @drewmoseley,

As for the client locating the Mender server, So far I was giving IP address of the server in the /etc/hosts, But I changed to https://xxxxxx.cloudxxxx.xxx.com/ or xxxxx.cloudxxx.com, after you said we can mentioned FQDN also, But it isnt syncing or should I reinstall\re-initiate the mender client from beginning with the FQDN, just changing the /etc/hosts isn’t enough?

Also Drew, there is not device limit for the Open source ( production server ) also right?

I just want to confirm, Open source is good for Production use isn’t it? Maybe 50 devices or so.

There is no limit to the number of devices in the open source server.

It sounds like setting up a production server with a custom generated TLS certificate is the right approach for you. In that case you don’t need to update /etc/hosts but rather the certificate is explicitly generated for the FQDN that you provide.
Drew

Im not following you, Because I have experience only trying out the Demo server and Mender Client. And in the Mender Client I have given the Mender server IP ( 242.43.13.523. s3.docker.mender.io` docker.mender.io) in etc/hosts just like we had to, But changing to a Domain name isn’t getting synced.

Anyways, You are saying for the Production server, to get the Mender client synced, we can give Domain name into the /etc/hosts/ isn’t it ? Plus certificate is generated to get synced to the Mender server. I’ll work on the production server and see how does it connect to the Client.

But @drewmoseley, Cant we use the same Mender client configuration (for demo server I used) for Professional server too; like this DEVICE_TYPE=“raspberrypizero”
SERVER_IP_ADDR=“20.xxx.xxx.xx”
sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive dpkg -i mender-client_2.2.0-1_armhf.deb
sudo mender setup
–device-type $DEVICE_TYPE
–demo
–server-ip $SERVER_IP_ADDR
sudo systemctl restart mender-client

The FQDN needs to be a normal domain name that is resolved by DNS. You shouldn’t need to edit /etc/hosts.

The problem with the setup starting with the demo server is that the TLS cert used by that setup is the same and available from our github so you have no protection from server spoofing. If you change to the production server you will setup your own TLS cert and use your own domain name.

Drew

Hi Drew, @drewmoseley
Thank you for the response.

I didn’t understand by what you said “use your own domain name.”, because I’m still working on setting the prod server up.
I have the demo server in one of the Azure VMs, and after setting the demo server, I used Azure custom DNS for their static IP. Hence, I’m getting confused when you said that, In my mind, I’m still thinking the DNS will be the domain we set in the Azure VM server.

Anyways, Let me work on it and get back to you.

Hi @drewmoseley @oleorhagen
I have the production server up now, But then how to get the Devices (Mender client) get connected to the Mender server now? I have RPi and Jetson Nano (already with the OS installed), Now how to configure the devices client to connect to server.

Demo server was very easy config for client connection.

Please guide me to the right way, Now I have the server, I need all the devices to get connected through the key.

I would recommend that you read the Client configuration section section of the documentation to understand how to configure the client

Sure will do @mirzak,
Thank you so much for pointing me here.

I was going through this page in Client configuration and did connect to the demo server using this, https://docs.mender.io/2.3/client-configuration/installing .
But then I’m looking for Production server, and Then I saw this particular line in this page:
“If full board integration is desired, follow the device documentation on Yocto Project or Debian family.” , since I have a Jetson Xavier Debian and RPi Raspbian, it is going to be useful I guess.

And according to this “Installing” section, it has given configuration for demo server and enterprise server, Can we try for production server with this config or do I need to built a image for mender client to be configured to connect to my server ?

Hi @mirzak and @drewmoseley

A big thank you for all your support so far.

I just got my Mender device client connected to the Mender production server, By giving the server.crt in the /etc/mender/mender.conf.

I shall try to deploy my tested releases from the Demo server, and see if it works, but is this the correct way of getting clients onboard to server or Do I need to follow yocto project or Debian family section?
Because Now Im going to connect my RPi and Jetson Xavier similarly, and I’ll be using three Update Modules:

1. Script,
  2. Directory. and
  3. Docker.

Also, @drewmoseley, Please tell me, Is there any expiry to this server.crt ? Because What shall I do if I had to change the server or upgrade, Do I need to update the server.crt too ?