Running mender agent as a non-root user

For our product we’ve been trying to make sure all services running on the device are run under unprivileged service accounts, rather than as root, particularly if they are network-facing. Any thoughts on how easy it would be to do that with the Mender agent?

Hi @madisox,

I would not expect this to be a to big of a problem. The user that is running the Mender client process needs access to:

• read/write to disk (group disk)
  • read/write /var/lib/mender (this is normally a mount point)
  • read/execute /usr/share/mender (contains inventory/identity scripts and Update Modules if you are using them)

These are at least the things that come to mind from the top of my head.

1 Like

Thanks @mirzak. I’d also need to review the state scripts - I know I have some that assume they’re running as root - and for U-Boot-based platforms the direct invocations of fw_setenv/fw_printenv would need to be looked at.

I would expect that the fw_setenv_/fw_printenv tools would be covered by the disk group.

I would expect that the fw_setenv_/fw_printenv tools would be covered by the disk group.

Mostly. The version of U-Boot I’m using also uses a lock file, but by pre-creating that file with suitable ownership and permissions, I was able to deal with that issue.

I do have this working now. Besides the lock file mentioned above, I needed to add some udev rules to set some permissions on some sysfs entries that were being accessed by my state scripts. I also needed sudo for some of the state script operations. I also added a wrapper script for the reboot command that would use sudo to invoke the real reboot command, and put that on the mender agent’s PATH.

Thanks!