Restart device and update existing python file in RPi

Hi,

I would like to know, how to restart a RPi through mender, and also update
modify a existing python file through mender.?

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:

Mender supports updating single files through:

Also, if you are running an A/B partition scheme with Mender a rootfs update will reboot the device.

I guess Iā€™m gonna need a little more on the use-case if you this is not what you need though.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile: sure Im also reading thru this now, My case is to reboot RPi at any time thru sudo reboot and also to modify a existing py file\ container file.

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:

Here are all public update modules:
https://hub.mender.io/c/update-modules/13

They should support most of your use-cases, including containers. The reboot can be done with a script I guess?

Hi,

I will look into this page, it looks very informative. I was reading the Single file update link u have shared, Does it have a page with proper documentation instead of a forum, finding difficult to understand.

Also, regarding the reboot, Even if I create a python script with os.system(ā€œsudo rebootā€), it wont execute unless we run the script rgt? so how does the script work if we deploy thru mender.

The script is deployed as an update :wink:

Look here for the specifics: https://docs.mender.io/2.3/devices/update-modules

Yes I understand this part, But again the script .sh file needs to be executed in order to get the sudo command affect knw? , It gets deployed only rgt, Can we also run the script thru mender

The script update module runs the script.

The single-file update module simply updates a file.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, Let me explore and I would like to get back to you Oleorhagen, Give me sometime. It was nice talkng to u.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:
Like I said, I explored single file and script update module.

Both works great. But Im not able to fill in a ā€œsudo rebootā€ script to the device without getting a 100% successful deployment. Its just ā€œsudo rebootā€ in the bash script, maybe thats why it isnt deployed succesfully.

So, the script gets deployed to device and it reboots the device but deploys logs stucks at 70 % only in the mender server. Could you help me with a proper reboot script which support mender way.

Iā€™m not a 100% understanding your question, so I going to answer:
ā€œI have deployed a bash script which reboots the device, and the deployments gets stuck at 70% for a while in the Mender server, and then fails, what is going on?ā€

1. Scripts cannot necessarily be used to reboot the device successfully in any state [1][2]. This is because: How can Mender differentiate a reboot in a state-script from a power-loss, or other significant device failures? Thus, the only state-script state which permits this kind of functionality is RebootEnter. Here a script which calls reboot can be run, and the Mender-client will be happy to reboot into the newly installed root-filesystem. If this is a script update module [3], it actually seems that the description on Mender-hub is wrong. This module does not support rebooting the device. I will fix this up, after clarifying with the Module author.

Thus, I guess what I am trying to say, is that rebooting the device at any time is not supported as it is now.

Solutions I can think of at the top of my head are:

• Write a custom update-module which runs the script in the ArtifactReboot state. This will allow the script to reboot the device successfully, unlike the current ā€˜officialā€™ script update-module.
  • Use some other tool to reboot the device (ssh? maybe), and keep it out of the Mender update loop.

Which solution is best is a little hard to say, as it depends on your specific use-case.

References:
[1]: https://docs.mender.io/2.3/artifacts/state-scripts#power-loss
[2]: https://docs.mender.io/2.3/devices/update-modules#power-loss
[3]: Script

1 Like

Sure @oleorhagen, I got ur point, Thank you so much for this amazing response. Ill go thru the ArtifactReboot state, Let me explore more on this.

Im actially facing a huge probs now, I have raised another issue:

No one is actually responding, so I refered here, sorry if its wrong way to do it. But its critical, Im not able to see anything wrong with my server, Its 16GB ram and 4 cpus, But Demo server GUIs doesnā€™t respond smoothly, It hangs, staggers whenever we click at anything on the gui.

Hi @oleorhagen,

Im facing one more issue with my deployment, Once a deployment failes or aborted, the release\artifact is tagged with ā€œInconsistentā€ name, and after that the device is never synced in real time update, and because of this I cant deploy any further releases unless I restart the device manually, which is a very unfavourable situation for Mender isnā€™t it.

In general I would recommend using another tool for rebooting your entire fleet. It could be done with an update module like:

#! /bin/bash

set -e

STATE="$1"
FILES="$2"

case "$STATE" in
    NeedsArtifactReboot)
        echo "Automatic"
        ;;
esac
exit 0

However, this is slightly cumbersome, as it would change the artifact name installed. There is simply no way around it.

1 Like

Sure @oleorhagen, I understand this reboot is not happening for now, Now Ill give a try with the state script u have mentionedā€¦ Changing the artifact name isnā€™t a nice way actually. But Ill try this once.

@oleorhagen Any idea on this ?

@nishad1092 this is not a state-script.
It is an update-module

Sure, Iā€™m looking into now, Looks different way to execute\deploy this to a device.

The inconsistent state is related to a failed update-module update.

Iā€™m going to need a little more information on what exactly you are trying to do?

Is this from the script update-module?

Yes, It is from the script module, Few times it worked fine, But twice it failed and yes, It went to ā€œInconsistentā€ mode, But after that, the device stopped taking real time update.