Package delta update

I wanted to know if there is a way to have only files that have changes in a package be updated inorder to save further on bandwidth cost.

I understand that there is delta update for rootfs but is there a way to create a delta update module for packages.

Regards,
Bosco Jacinto

Hello @boscorently!

There is no such thing provided upstream, but it certainly can implemented according to your needs as a custom update module, see also here. Depending on the specifics of the package, and the changing things, it might also be worth taking versioning into account.

Greetz,
Josef

1 Like

Thanks @TheYoctoJester I will look at the links you provided. Will understand in depth and get back.

Regards,
Bosco Jacinto

I’m also interested in this, but I’m also wondering how package delta updates would work with the " Automatic assignment of robust delta updates" feature of Mender Enterprise. Is there a way to get that feature for packages, not just the rootfs?

Hi @mho,

Well, it is not something that exists already. I just wanted to convey the idea that it is absolutely possible to implement it for a specific use case using the linked mechanisms. For the officially supported modules and client, I am not aware of anything related being on the roadmap currently, sorry.

Greetz,
Josef

1 Like