Need to understand the integration of the mender-client with DFU

Description

TODO: Mender-Client and DFU integration to roll out for leaf device update

Example use-cases:

• TODO: New Firmware is developed by the developer and tested by the testing team. Also, some bugs are raised by the testing team and resolved by the developer. Once resolved by the developer again the same process is carried out and new firmware is released with a new version.

Issue:

• TODO: We are using the Zephyr project for DFU for the Leaf device and our Leaf device works on BLE
    Need some steps on how to integrate with mender-client.

Thanks
Akshat Vyas

Hi @AkshatVyas,

We have an example implementation of an Update Module that uses DFU to update a leaf device. It is described in this article, source code is in the corresponding git repository.
The example uses a K64F-board, but it is easily adjusted to other device types. Concerning the type of software on the leaf device, it is completely agnostic as the update process is happening externally to it.

Greetz,
Josef

Hi @TheYoctoJester,

Thanks for providing your input. I have a query regarding whether we have to make any changes in the mender.conf file if required can you provide me a sample of mender.conf.

Akshat Vyas

Hi @AkshatVyas,

This is completely unrelated to the mender.conf file. The documentation on custom Update Modules applies.

If you need integration assistance for a specific board or system, then we are happy to offer professional services for that, please contact us (contact@mender.io).

Greetz,
Josef

Hi @TheYoctoJester,

So, my understanding is that after installing the dfu util in the device do have to set up anything from the device end.

Thanks
Akshat Vyas

Hi @mirzak,

One small doubt after installing the DFU utility how did you integrate the DFU with mender-client or any integration is required or not?

Let me know ASAP.
Thanks
Akshat Vyas

EDIT: moved over from different thread

Hi @AkshatVyas,

as already pointed out in the initial answer, the DFU Update Module follows the Update Module API just as documented, in the official documentation, its Readme provides a simple installation example. What else do need?

The Mender Client provides the Update Module API exactly for plugging in such customizable functionality, I strongly suggest to examine the given explanatory documenation links. For even more details on how the interfacing works, please see the API desciption in the source code.

Greetz,
Josef

Hi @TheYoctoJester,

For the leaf device firmware update do we need to promote the device as a gateway from the mender portal?

Can you provide me with any solution?
Thanks
AKshat Vyas

Hi @AkshatVyas,

Again, the given examples show that it is a very straightforward Update Module. I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you check the given resources and evaluate how Update Modules work, for example using the reboot one which nicely shows the involved steps.

This is in no way related to the gateway functionality.

If you run into any problems when following the documentation, please let us know and we are happy to help and fix it. But please understand that randomly poking at different features, most of them completely unrelated, will not be helpful.

If you feel that you need assistance, you can also contact us for professional services.

Greetz,
Josef