Mender Convert error - no space left on device

Hi team,

I am using version 2.0.x of mender convert and having some difficulties. I didn’t have any issues with my previous image running raspbian stretch lite. But after upgrading to raspbian buster lite and the newer version of mender convert, I am getting this issue. Any ideas?

2020-03-08 08:40:10 [INFO] [mender-convert-package] Rootfs filesystem size will be 1336 MiB
2020-03-08 08:40:10 [INFO] [mender-convert-package] Creating a file-system image from: work/rootfs/data/
2020-03-08 08:40:10 [INFO] [mender-convert-package] Creating a file-system image from: work/rootfs/
rsync: write failed on “/mender-convert/work/output/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/scalable/categories/applications-utilities-symbolic.svg”: No space left on device (28)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(374) [receiver=3.1.3]
mender-convert-package has finished. Cleaning up…
rm: cannot remove ‘work/output’: Device or resource busy

I figured it out. For some reason, when I clean up my base image, mender-convert does like it when I clean out the apt lists.

Commenting this line out fixes the issue: rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

I am guessing mender-convert is installing a package without updated the package list??

Thanks

I do not know if any packages being installed using apt during the convert process. So there must be something else at play here.

It might be that the generated rootfs part is to small, as the calculation of this has changed slightly.

You can adjust this using the variables added here, Add support for controlling rootfs size with `IMAGE_*` variables. · mendersoftware/mender-convert@79ceadb · GitHub

It seems that I had didn’t have any space on the rootfs partition. When I upgraded to mender_convert 2.0.x, I had to add the following to the mender convert config file:

IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE="-1"