Is it possible to use binary delta updates on a Debian OS device? If so, how can this be achieved? What If we use dockerise image to deploy our application. Is delta update useful for dockerise application or not?

I found that mender-binary-delta is available in Yocto-based projects, according to the documentation, but I need to understand if and how a similar approach can be implemented on a Debian OS.

Hi @vimoxshah,

the delta update mechanism can also be used for Debian images and application updates (example: Tutorial: Docker Compose update | Mender documentation). If you have more specific needs, we can look into it. Please note that it is only available in the professional and enterprise plans.

Greets,
Josef

Thanks, If I have 3 services mentioned in docker-compose now I would like to update the code of one service and then what should I do? Do I have to build all the images again or I have to create another docker-compose file to update the specific build?

Hi @vimoxshah,

The amount of changes doesn’t matter, if it is one, three or whatever containers. Once you rebuild the application update artifact using the documented flow, then the packaged state will be deployed.

Greets,
Josef