Is it possible to remove the demo layer for mender 2.0.0?

Hi,
I’m using the mender 2.0.0 production version release in standalone mode.
Currently the mender demo layer is enabled and testing the file and directory update using the same set-up.

But, when I removed the demo layer and tried, then I’m getting the following issues:

1. Ethernet is not coming up on the target platform!
    Reason - The eth.network file was creating from the demo layer and this file is not present inside the ‘/etc/systemd/network’ path.
  2. Module file update got failed and showing the below error:

ERRO[0010] Reading headers failed: installer: failed to read Artifact: readHeaderV3: handleHeaderReads: Cannot load handler for unknown Payload type ‘single-file’ module=standalone
ERRO[0010] installer: failed to read Artifact: readHeaderV3: handleHeaderReads: Cannot load handler for unknown Payload type ‘single-file’ module=main

Moreover, the /usr/share/mender/modules/v3 path is not present!

I have checked the production build step but didn’t find any special caring for the update module and Ethernet.

Whether I’m doing anything wrong? Whether the module update (along with mender 2.0.0 client) will work without demo layer in standalone mode?

1. Ethernet is not coming up on the target platform!
    Reason - The eth.network file was creating from the demo layer and this file is not present inside the ‘/etc/systemd/network’ path.

This is expected, as we provide network configuration in meta-mender-demo, but this is only for demo purposes and you should configure this to your liking when you remove meta-mender-demo.

1. Module file update got failed and showing the below error:

This is also expected as we only install “update modules” when meta-mender-demo is included, and if you want to install modules when you have removed meta-mender-demo, then you have to enable it on your own in e.g your own layer.

I have checked the production build step but didn’t find any special caring for the update module and Ethernet.

Good point, we should probably update this to cover at least update modules.

1 Like