Error when convert container image

Hi Mr @drewmoseley, I want to ask if there is any optimal way to flash 100 fresh install machine to create dual root filesystem and connect that machine to mender?
Because right now I have 1 machine, I have to install a fresh Debian, shutdown it, run Ubuntu live on it, and flash the image from Ubuntu live to write the disk image written by mender-convert, and reboot it. After this point I’ll have a machine with dual root filesystem and connected to mender.

I wanna ask do you have any suggestion about how to shorten this process? Or any other ways to flash the image? Or use the image written by mender-convert, and just install an OS with it, without Ubuntu or any between?

That’s a pretty typical setup. You can remove the disk from the machine and attach it to your development workstation. That will remove the need for the Ubuntu Live image boot but probably won’t be any quicker.

But I don’t understand why you need to install fresh Debian before booting Ubuntu live. That should not be necessary if you are just planning to overwrite the disk with the Mender-enabled image.

Drew

Oh I see, because flash 100 disk really a challenge for us.

I didn’t know that I don’t need to install fresh Debian, thank you very much.

if you have that many machines to do and its going to be an on-going concern, then i would be investigating something like the FOG project to simplify the imaging process across many devices. (or some-other PXE-boot based solution). i think alot of bios’s these days support holding down a key on boot to put it into PXE-boot mode.

https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/FOGUserGuide#:~:text=What%20is%20FOG%3F,done%20via%20TFTP%20and%20PXE.

1 Like