Can I upload a Docker image to AWS ECR and use it for OTA when creating a Docker artifact?

Current process involves uploading a Docker image to Docker Hub and using it for deployment when creating a Docker artifact. But We use AWS ECR so wondering can we use ECR or we have to docker hub for our application docker image.

Hi @vimoxshah,

There is no limitation in the Mender Client in where it pulls a Docker image from. To my understanding, the Docker Update Module also is registry agnostic (see mender/support/modules/docker at master · mendersoftware/mender · GitHub), so if your device respectively development host have the required configuration and login, I don’t see any immediate problem.

Greets,
Josef

Okay. But while creating the artifact It tries to pull the image from docker hub. I am checking this mender/support/modules-artifact-gen/docker-artifact-gen at master · mendersoftware/mender · GitHub

Hi @vimoxshah,

Just adjust the generation scripts to your use case then. They’re not set in stone :slight_smile: The only important thing about them is keeping the resulting artifact and metadata format stable.

Alternatively, you can create a fully custom Update Module which implements whichever flow your scenario requires.

Greetz,
Josef